F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How To Replace Fuel Filter and Clean rust on fuel pump assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LaserSnake
I just cleaned my tank out and after I put the fuel pump on and about 2 gallons of fuel, I found out that it was leaking pretty bad. I didn't put on a new rubber gasket, but I think I might have put it on backwards.

In looking at the two pictures, I notice that the orientation of the pumps on the two bikes are opposite. On the original post, the main line goes towards the back of the bike. On the additional post, the main line goes towards the front. Are these bikes different years?

I have a 2004 F4i but am using a manual for 01-03. When I put it on and it started leaking, I had the main fuel line going towards the front of the bike.
Yeah they are different years. My friends have an '01 and an '03 and they're the same model as the yellow CBR. The black/red tank looks like it's from a bike similar to my own which is an '04. I haven't done any work on bikes other than my own but the main fuel hose should point towards the front of the bike since you're securing it to the fuel injectors which are sort of under the engine air filter housing.

I'm dealing with a leaking fuel pump problem on an '04 too. Be very careful with those bolts because if you snap one you'll have to buy a new gas tank like me and they're expensive. I'm going to find out today if I fixed the problem--I think the fuel return filter (sort of coiled metal sponge looking thing) wedged itself between the gasket and the metal base of the fuel pump and allowed fuel to leak out regardless of how it was torqued. If that wasn't the problem for me then I'm stumped so hopefully it works!

Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Tremper
Yeah they are different years. My friends have an '01 and an '03 and they're the same model as the yellow CBR. The black/red tank looks like it's from a bike similar to my own which is an '04. I haven't done any work on bikes other than my own but the main fuel hose should point towards the front of the bike since you're securing it to the fuel injectors which are sort of under the engine air filter housing.

I'm dealing with a leaking fuel pump problem on an '04 too. Be very careful with those bolts because if you snap one you'll have to buy a new gas tank like me and they're expensive. I'm going to find out today if I fixed the problem--I think the fuel return filter (sort of coiled metal sponge looking thing) wedged itself between the gasket and the metal base of the fuel pump and allowed fuel to leak out regardless of how it was torqued. If that wasn't the problem for me then I'm stumped so hopefully it works!
Hey, did you find the cause of the leak, I replaced my gasket base on my 04f4i and can't seem to figure out the cause of the leak. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ub3rm3nch
Hey, did you find the cause of the leak, I replaced my gasket base on my 04f4i and can't seem to figure out the cause of the leak. Thanks in advance.
Did you find out what was causing the leak, I've changed my gasket today and it's leaking heavily.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Hello, I am doing the procedure right now, has anyone cleaned the filter attached to the fuel pump ? (not the steel wool).

I am having some difficulties to disconnect the fuel pump wiring connector, any advice what to press or pull to free it? Thanks

Old 09-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteo
Hello, I am doing the procedure right now, has anyone cleaned the filter attached to the fuel pump ? (not the steel wool).

I am having some difficulties to disconnect the fuel pump wiring connector, any advice what to press or pull to free it? Thanks

Slide the green locking tab back. Then press the black tab in the center and disconnected the connector.

You can't clean the filter. Replace it.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Slide the green locking tab back. Then press the black tab in the center and disconnected the connector.

You can't clean the filter. Replace it.
Done, thank you, I was worried to break it..

My bike is a Cbr 1100 XX, I replaced the oem filter with a K&N PF 1300, slightly bigger than original, but it fits well, you only need a longer screw and you save a LOT of money.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very neat.