F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How To Mod the Stock CCT

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To Mod the Stock CCT

When I was talking about how it worked and taking it apart, it was from looking at a diagram I had seen of how the cctl works.

So once I use the screwdriver to retract the shaft, what do I do once its reinstalled?

Also, the stock cctl has the gasket like stuck to it should i just scrape it off?

Thanks Tahoe for all your help with the cctl issues, you've posted on almost every question about it and are very helpful.

H

Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you need a new gasket...

when you put in the screw driver and turn it to the right, the tip will retract about an inch...install the cctl and after you've tighten everything down, remove the screw driver and it'll come out, then put the bolt and washer back on there.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 PM

Thanks again Tahoe

Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 AM

It would be great if someone could do a detailed write up of this procedure with pics. Maybe I'll attempt it this weekend. Hey, Tahoe, what's your phone number in case I get stuck half way through?

Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM

do you have to remove the cct to do that punch method?

Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 PM

yes.

the pin flare technique works, not 100% rattle free but 20x better than before! plus its free!

get a manal and follow the directions for reinstallation. you need to retract the shaft for sure.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 PM

I just did the procedure and it seems to have quieted down the chatter quite a bit. It's still there a little but not bad at all. What is more satisfying to know is exactly what makes the noise and that there is nothing to worry about. It may be noisey but there isn't any danger of anything breaking or going terribly wrong. I'm glad I didn't spend $50 on a new unit or a manual cctl.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:14 AM

Well, after a real ride on the bike, it seems that the rattle is still there. I thought I followed the procedure correctly. I pulled out the unit, hit the pin with a punch to flare the ends and reinstalled it, which wasn't very easy to work in that confined space. It still f'in rattles though god damn it. I might go manual cctl after all. I'm going to see if it gets any better over the next few days and also see if I can adjust it out a bit further. How come Honda can't fix this damn problem? I mean really, they make some of the best, most advanced **** in the world and they can't make a cam chain tensioner that doesn't sound like a baby's rattle?

Old 07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey...is the tip completely secure? the pin edges has to be completely flattened or flared out so there's no play.
yea the shaft also could produce some noise too...but rest happy that it's not the cc slapping around.

as far as noise, are you still getting the bb in a can hardcore vibration or something else of the like?

too many moving parts in this thing...maybe if they used a rubber seal at the base of the shaft and cctl body, it could absorb the vibration.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 PM

Well, last year I replaced my CCTL with the "newer, improved version from Honda". 3,000 miles have gone since and the sucker is starting to make noise again.

Quick Reply: How To Mod the Stock CCT