CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   how many miles did you have your cctl rattle? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/how-many-miles-did-you-have-your-cctl-rattle-126431/)

deegaw11 06-03-2011 08:42 PM

how many miles did you have your cctl rattle?

Bought an 02 f4i with only 1600 miles. The bike is in absolute mint condition. About 1800 miles I would hear a vibration around 5k rpm and I thought it was just something loose but now I have about 2300 miles and that rattle is getting louder. I realize it is probably the cctl. Is it normal that I'm having the rattle at such low miles? I've read on the forum that some people didn't get it till about 10k+ miles. How many miles have some of you put on the bike before replacing it?

thirdgenlxi 06-03-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by deegaw11 (Post 1062896)
Bought an 02 f4i with only 1600 miles. The bike is in absolute mint condition. About 1800 miles I would hear a vibration around 5k rpm and I thought it was just something loose but now I have about 2300 miles and that rattle is getting louder. I realize it is probably the cctl. Is it normal that I'm having the rattle at such low miles? I've read on the forum that some people didn't get it till about 10k+ miles. How many miles have some of you put on the bike before replacing it?

Mine started getting pretty bad around 32k miles, replaced it with a new OEM one and that lasted until about 45k or so (13k). Replaced it with an APE manual tensioner, problem solved.... never been an issue since (at 214k now). It's well worth the $50, IMHO

fourxchevy 06-03-2011 10:24 PM

mine started at 4500 miles replaced with a oem did it again at 9000 miles, replaced with ape manual problem solved for me too!

deegaw11 06-03-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi (Post 1062916)
Mine started getting pretty bad around 32k miles, replaced it with a new OEM one and that lasted until about 45k or so (13k). Replaced it with an APE manual tensioner, problem solved.... never been an issue since (at 214k now). It's well worth the $50, IMHO

How can yours start getting bad at 32k miles and mine is starting to rattle with only 2k miles? What year is your f4i? I don't beat on the bike since I'm still a new rider. I usually shift gears at 5k, am I doing something wrong? BTW I saw your video on youtube, that's incredible that you put so many miles on the bike. Is it still on the original clutch?

boredandstroked 06-04-2011 12:18 PM

You have an 02, which is the original design CCTL. My 06 had the 2nd design and it made it 30,000 miles. I replaced it with the 3rd design and its already making noise after 17,000 miles. My only guess is the last 17,000 miles have included 3 track days and alot of high speed/rpm canyon riding where as my first 30k didn't have much canyon and no track riding.

MeanGreenZ71 06-04-2011 02:33 PM

Mine in my 06 is rattling at 5K miles. Im most likely going to get an APE but only thing I dont like about it is having to set the tension manually...im worried I may set it too tight or too loose.

The rattle was really bad until the other week I read something on another forum...cant find it now tho. The guy said to put the bike in first gear with it NOT running and the clutch disengaged. He then said to pull the bike backwards a few times to give a little slack in the chain and make the cctl extend a little more. IDK how much truth there is to this working but mine has been much quieter and only does it with very little load on the engine. This should hold me over until I order a APE CCTL. BTW, any good places to order them at a decent price?

fourxchevy 06-05-2011 01:25 AM

cbrzone has them for around $50

Dodgehemi7 06-05-2011 06:32 PM

Mine started at 30k. Have the new oem cctl but havent installed yet. I am considering trading it for the ape one.

deegaw11 06-07-2011 09:10 PM

I still don't understand why mine is rattling with such low miles? Is it because I'm always in the 5-6k rpm range? I'm still a new rider so I'm always shifting around there and cruising on the highway at those rpms. Is it because I'm putting too much load on the cctl?

fourxchevy 06-07-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by deegaw11 (Post 1064686)
I still don't understand why mine is rattling with such low miles? Is it because I'm always in the 5-6k rpm range? I'm still a new rider so I'm always shifting around there and cruising on the highway at those rpms. Is it because I'm putting too much load on the cctl?

The oem cctl make tension from your oil pressure so maybe a seal or something in it dryed up from just sitting and not getting used much. 1600 miles in 9 years is almost nothing.