F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how to make a one-way 600 mile trip comfortable??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make a one-way 600 mile trip comfortable??

I would like to know your guys and gals options on how to make a 600 (1200 round)mile trip from Nashville to DC, and back, comfortable enough to do every month. I will be leaving on a Friday and riding the 600 miles in one go, then back again on a Sunday. Spending $300 to drive my pig SUV every month is going to kill my wallet.I'm getting about 150 per tank with around-town riding. I'm hoping to get 200 on the highway avg. 80mph.$90total in gas.

I'm thinking a double bubble windshield for starters. Also buying rain gear just in case. What do you guys wear in the rain when i does? Any suggestions would be excellent. I'm also thinking about getting a tank bag.

Thanks in advance,

Old 05-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Default RE: how to make a one-way 600 mile trip comfortable??

200 a tank? That's pretty good. The most I've gotten with easy riding was 190 and I filled up 4.5 gal. That was too close for comfort. That was also with -1 front sprocket on a speado healer.

I've dont a gap run from Orlando, FL which was ~800 miles each way and a couple iron buts on my f4i. Get a corbin seat. Feels good. As for rain gear it realy depends on what you want. I have touring gear (textile jacket and pants) that are waterproof but I also have a set of frogg toggs which i wear over either my 2 piece leathers or 1 piece depending on what im actually wearing.

Tank bag works pretty well. Ever since I started riding way more aggressively I stoped using the tank bag as I like to be able to hug the tank. I have a set of Nelson Rigg Saddle bags and tail pack that all clasp together and work pretty well. I really all depends on how much stuff you will be taking with you.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM

ouch..

trade the rocket for a goldwing FTW!

that is going to kill you..i did a 500 mile trip in one day and i wanted to die when i got off..but im 17 and have broken my back 3 different times and shattered my left knee and pelvis..so that also has a factor in it for me.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 AM

i'd take helibars and touring windscreen, yep, touring, not double-bubble.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Is the tank bag water proof? Do the "Frogg Toggs" hug your jacket, or are they loose and flap in the wind? Corbin seat is out of picture at this point. I have a $1200 a month child support payment, and visiting my daughter every month in DC...LOL!!! I'm getting broke.

On a side note. Whats the avg. you guys get on a set of tires. 7-8k??

Thanks for the replies,

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

200 a tank? That's pretty good. The most I've gotten with easy riding was 190 and I filled up 4.5 gal. That was too close for comfort. That was also with -1 front sprocket on a speado healer.

I've dont a gap run from Orlando, FL which was ~800 miles each way and a couple iron buts on my f4i. Get a corbin seat. Feels good. As for rain gear it realy depends on what you want. I have touring gear (textile jacket and pants) that are waterproof but I also have a set of frogg toggs which i wear over either my 2 piece leathers or 1 piece depending on what im actually wearing.

Tank bag works pretty well. Ever since I started riding way more aggressively I stoped using the tank bag as I like to be able to hug the tank. I have a set of Nelson Rigg Saddle bags and tail pack that all clasp together and work pretty well. I really all depends on how much stuff you will be taking with you.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM

The tank bag I have is also a nelson rigg. It is pretty water resistant without the rain cover and is waterproof with it on.

The frogg toggs kind of flap in the wind but its not that bad as they don't balloon up with air when you are riding. I got my corbin seat used for 120 bux and itonly had like 50 miles on it according to the previous owner.

With regards to tires I get around 5-6k out of a rear tire and really not much longer out of a front. However, it has been a pretty long time since I have bought a new set of tires just to use in the street. Now I spoon on a new set of tires to use at the track and then when I feel that they are no good for that purpose anymore I waste the new center rubber that is left on the flat non curvy florida roads.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
IDL

I have rain gear that I wear overtop of my pants and jacket, and it fits in the trunk. I don't usually trust waterproof jackets and such, they usually tend to be water 'resistant'

A tank bag can help in the comfort if you pack it right. Put something cushy in there and you can lay on it.

Stretch out before you go, and take lots of breaks!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 AM

I wore some waterproof ski pants cuz i had to ride in the rain, kept me dry. My Joe rocket jacket with liner. IPOD. And I ride with myfeet on my rear passenger pegs and pretty much lay down on the tank. Oh yah, get a cruise/throttle control. Saves on the wrist.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Also, get some ear plugs - I think this is often overlooked but crucial...

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Xx New Guy xX

Also, get some ear plugs - I think this is often overlooked but crucial...
I will double that. I have been riding for a while now and I just started riding with ear plugs I regret not riding with them sooner.

Quick Reply: how to make a one-way 600 mile trip comfortable??