F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How hard is it to weld cast aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to weld cast aluminum

One of the tabs are broken for my stator cover... As usual it still seeps oil. I was wondering if it is possible to weld cast aluminum?? My mechanic says its going to be really difficult and im wondering why? has anyone ever tried?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM

I've had good luck with the aluminum I'd had welded but I have a really good welder locally I go to who tigs everything for me. He's done some paper thin crappy aluminum to a heavy piece when I broke the bung loose from my honda quad's dry sump tank. If that can be done I can only imagine that the stator cover shouldn't be a big issue. Just find someone good with a tig and they can work magic.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had decent success with jb weld - sealed up a hole in a tranny case, lasted for years.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by iBang
I've had good luck with the aluminum I'd had welded but I have a really good welder locally I go to who tigs everything for me. He's done some paper thin crappy aluminum to a heavy piece when I broke the bung loose from my honda quad's dry sump tank. If that can be done I can only imagine that the stator cover shouldn't be a big issue. Just find someone good with a tig and they can work magic.
Well the mechanic said he's the best in town, and welds at NASA lol so i hope he can do it.. The welder is suppose to come in tomorrow or somthing im not to sure. Anyways I was just thinking about getting some jb weld stick and sticking a block of it at the tab, let dry and tap that out for my bolt. Im not to sure if that'll hold tho

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 PM

Cast aluminum is no harder to weld than forged. Just make sure that both surfaces that you are welding on VERY clean and you'll be fine. Sounds like you will be having someone else do the work, though, so I'm sure he/she knows to clean both surfaces well.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 AM

Its tough. But it can be done. Little trickier than steel.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by monsterjeepn
Cast aluminum is no harder to weld than forged. Just make sure that both surfaces that you are welding on VERY clean and you'll be fine. Sounds like you will be having someone else do the work, though, so I'm sure he/she knows to clean both surfaces well.
Yeah.. thats what they were saying. All that is needed to be welded was about an 1/2 inch tab, they were saying that the aluminum is impossible to weld sense it can be impregnated with oil, but i wouldnt know i just hope my mechanic will do it and everything will be okay, otherwise its back to the garage and some homemade remedies to fix a seepy gasket

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

welding THIN cast aluminum is nearly impossible because you end up just blowing bigger holes in it... on the other hand the JB Metal Weld Stuff worked for month on my wifes on oil pan when we need to get by for a few months...

Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Yeah i think thats about right, they said they cant do it. But anyways all i need to do is make an ear for my bolt to latch on to. So im going to use jb weld stick and tap it. Im guessing i need to drill the jb weld. How do i know what size tap to use for a 8mm bolt with 28 threads?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

im pretty sure the JB weld can withstand about 15lbs of torque..?

Quick Reply: How hard is it to weld cast aluminum