F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How effective are alarms??

Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How effective are alarms??

After reading the poor fella's post about his bike being stolen, I got to thinking ... just how effective are alarms in stopping bikes from being stolen. I have a XENA brake alarm/lock on mine right now... do you think this will stop theives! How about other alarms... if a thief wants the bike, will they stop him??

Cheers,
Chris

Old 07-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Default RE: How effective are alarms??

If they want it they'll get it. The only effective way to stop theives is to make it time consuming for them. If it'll take time, they won't touch it.

Here's a link from lojack
http://www.lojack.com/pdf/BikeSmartsTipSheet2-3-3.pdf

HTH
Ashish Hareet

Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 AM

The only way to stop a theif is by filling his back with some bullets. However, you will be missed by your family and loved ones for 15-20 years.
Voodoo is right, the longer you can stall a theif the more likely he/she will give up. However, when you **** them off there is a good chance they will vadalize you ride. Still thats better than having that thing missing.
Alarms can help, however; on bikes they get annoying because they go off very often and they do drain the battery.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any feedback or experience usin Lo-Jack?

It sounds to me like it could be the most effective device if your bike is ever stolen.

"More than 55,000 bikes were stolen in 2003. That's one bike every 9.5 minutes*. Truth is, if the bad guys really want your bike, they're going to get it. And once it's gone, it's gone. Now with LoJack For Motorcycles, if someone steals your bike, we can help you get it back —fast."

Scary!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 11:53 AM

A friend of mine had lojack on his WRX and it was found two hours later. Just lying there on a main road. Here in PR, thieves know about LoJack so when they steal a car/bike/whatever they leave it on the street for around 3 hours while hiding, waiting to see if the cops arrive (meaning if they do arrive, then the car had LoJack). They're doing this because many of those bitches were caught right in the car they stole, so they're adapting to LoJack.

I'd say it works...

Old 07-20-2006, 01:16 PM

This is what you need if you park them outside:

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/products/anchor.html

Thieves like to simply pick up and go, they will not spend the time to dismantle your front wheel or fork. Of course, they could cut the chain, so get a good one of those, too.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:50 PM

The front wheel is easiler to take off(one long *** bolt). So its recommended to place your chain lock on the rear.
Although, this thing look cool in the drive way. Professional theifs will take the bike whenever. They dont use saws to cut the chian but they use torches.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I have a disk lock with an alarm on it and it works great. was only 60 bucks and i only keep it on when i go out to a movie or somthing but if that thing is screaming in the parking lot i dont think someone will have the time to load it in a truck.

if they want it they will get it but this is a nice way to know if they are.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:46 AM

i have an alarm on my bike, its not one of those 350 dollar scorpio deals, i spent 60 bucks on ebay and it works better than i expected for 60 bucks. its got the alarm, auto reset- so if i turn it off and the bike doesnt move or get started within 30 seconds, it resets itself, just in case the button was tripped while in my pocket, it also has a remote start and kill. For what i paid, im pretty satisfied. I know, as said before, if someone wants it, theyll get it, but its one of those peace of mind tricks. It makes me feel a lil better.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:31 PM

I went out got an impact drill some 3 concrete anchors 3 lag eye bolts and some concrete epoxy. drilled the holes, hammered in the anchors, mixed the epoxy and let it set for a few min, poored some in each anchor/hole, then screwed the lag eye bolts in. I use a smaller braided steel cable with loops on the ends just to lock the rear wheel thru the frame and thru one of the bolts and lock the ends with a big weather/rusty proof master lock, then a pretty thick kryptonite (SP?) bike lock and run that thru the frame and swing arm and thru another eye bolt. then I cover it and use a med thickness bike lock and run that thru the holes in the bottom of the cover and thru the from and thru the last eye bolt!! LOL I feel its pretty secure, but I am still about to order a Xena disc lock alarm, and an actual alarm!!! can never be too safe!!! lemme know if you wanna see pic, I can take some of my set up.

I wish i had gotten what FLIP posted in that link, then i could have used a 1" thick cable lock. oh well......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How effective are alarms??