F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do I check if my battery is still good

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I check if my battery is still good

should I remove it or can they still check it while its on the bike to see if its still charged enough?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do I check if my battery is still good

Get a multimeter. Helps with electric checks on the bike. Check the voltage while it's off, after a day of being off, after half hour of riding, and lastly with the bike on. Should tell you a lot about the battery condition. A good battery will show around 12V with the bike off, and the 12V will not drop much after a day or two of the bike being off (unless its super cold).
If your charging system is ok, the battery will read around 14 volts when you turn the engine on. If your regulator is ok, the 14V won't change much when you rev from say 4krpm to 12krpm.
Half hour of riding should charge the battery even if it was a little low. If your battery keeps dropping to below 12V often then it's bad! If you turn the lights on with the engine off (after half hour of charging) and the battery voltage drops quite a bit it's bad! (unless you have some insane HIDs)

Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Hm... admin: does this merit being a sticky? or in the how-to section?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 PM

But can I check it like in pepboys while its on the bike dont have that multimeter tool?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

$4.99 at Harbor Freight Tools

Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Use a multimeter, their alwasy acurate and ampfp just gave anidiot proof lesson on how to check

Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: ampfp

Get a multimeter. Helps with electric checks on the bike. Check the voltage while it's off, after a day of being off, after half hour of riding, and lastly with the bike on. Should tell you a lot about the battery condition. A good battery will show around 12V with the bike off, and the 12V will not drop much after a day or two of the bike being off (unless its super cold).
If your charging system is ok, the battery will read around 14 volts when you turn the engine on. If your regulator is ok, the 14V won't change much when you rev from say 4krpm to 12krpm.
Half hour of riding should charge the battery even if it was a little low. If your battery keeps dropping to below 12V often then it's bad! If you turn the lights on with the engine off (after half hour of charging) and the battery voltage drops quite a bit it's bad! (unless you have some insane HIDs)
Close, but not quite.

You can tell the charge level of a battery by checking the voltage across it's terminals, as mentioned above. But the voltages are a little off.

A good battery, fully charged, will show in the neighborhood of 12.75 to 12.80 volts. A depleted battery will show 12.00V or less. anything in between shows you the relative level of charge of the cell. see link:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/battery_charging.htm

tbw

Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM

how do I connect the wires is it just the negative and positive......and check it turned off right i just want to do it right can someone give step by step sorry its just that I am a beginner on this.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM

check it turned off yes...black on the multi meter(or ground( - )) goes to black on the battery, red on the multi meter goes on red (+) on the battery

Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM

ok thanks a lot Redzin ......

Quick Reply: How do I check if my battery is still good