F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do i apply brake cleaner?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i apply brake cleaner?

Hello im wondering if i should take the two bolts off to remove the brake caliper to spray in some brake cleaner? where i i apply it, and do i just leave it their or wash it off after it sits with water?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

brake cleaner spray will evaporate pretty quick.. leaves no film.. dont spray water.. you dont have to pull the caliper off to use it.. but it depends on what you want to clean.. the calipers are very easy to remove...

Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 PM

yeah i know how to remove them so i thought it'll be a bit easier to apply the cleaner, i just wanna clean the pistons what whatever else is in their. Just get get all the dirt off. Where do i apply the cleaner

Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 PM

with brake cleaner, spray some on a rag and roll the bike forward with the rag wiping both sides of the rotor. this should clean it enough. if you want to clean the calipers, then take out the pads and then take out the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the fork. don't spray the brake cleaner on the brake pads themselves. if you want to clean the pads or de-glaze them, use some sand paper on the pads instead.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM

oh okay, and once i take out the pads do i just spray the break cleaner on the caliber? Also how do i take out the pads.

Also is it normal when i press the front break its a little difficult to push it in the first time? Whenever i first start the bike, and a press the front break their is a little bit more resistance than after i pump it a few times. (2-3) times make it feel loose again.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:06 PM

hydraulic brakes feel like that sometimes, possibl need to change your brake fluid, and make sure its topped off. as for brake cleaner get the no clorinated stuff its safe to use on rubber, and wont dry it out. and then as long as you dont spray it on your brake pads yourll be fine, i spray it directly on the object that im cleaning, as if im using a pressure washer. use as much as you want, let it sit and ait out to dry, then put it to use. its very quick to evaporate, just like an alchol swab on your skin

Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM

What about this? Well this link http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=2675542 tells me to use a dot3 brake fluid, i have a dot4 brake fluid cleaner. Can i just use that instead of buying something else?

Last edited by Gotpepsi; 05-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM

ive never heard of dot specific cleaners, but as far as i know youll have dot3 and dot4 brake fluid systems that are usually specific to that type of fluid or atleast recommended, but for cleaner you can have high strength or non-clorinated the non-clorinated stuff is safe to use on rubber. i read oer that diy and they were talking about cleaning your caliper pistons and seals with brake fluid but you NEVER clean rotors or brake pads with brake fluid, you clean a rotor with brake cleaner and dont touch it with your fingers because of our natural skin oils, and sand the pads with 80 or 120 grit sand paper to de-glaze them.

as for what fluid type to use in your braking system if you decide to change your fluid; Refer to your service manual or in the top of your front brake resivor

Last edited by fairman86; 05-08-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM

oh haha i dont know!! to many fluids i just used plain ol h20 and a toothbrush, an air compressor; to get all the dirt and access water out, and brake cleaner for the rotors, and brake pads! im amazed what cleaning can do, and i discovered that the pistons are copper colored. I even took pictures if anyone is interested to see.

It was real easy just kinda time consuming. It took me about 2 and a half hours to make it to my satifaction. but after i cleaned the pads, calipers, and rotors the bike seemed to brake better and it eliminated the squeeking/grinding noise! Its acually a bit odd because after i cleaned those three items i wasnt able to press the brakes as far down as i was able before (dont know why), it was so much more smooth and less effort to stop the motorcycle.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM

well good to hear! good job, only thing is ur not supposed to use the brake cleaner on your pads but whats done is done, keep an eye on them, but the reason why you dont have to press as hard is because there was clearly grease buildup on your rotors and glazed pads, now they are clean they acually brake.. keep up the good work !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do i apply brake cleaner?