CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   How to cut my exhaust (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/how-cut-my-exhaust-101286/)

dtownrebell07 09-23-2009 04:37 PM

How to cut my exhaust

1 Attachment(s)
I have an m4 carbon fiber exhaust iv recently ordered a gp exhaust but i have been reading on cutting an the one i have already and if its pretty easy to do then i will return the gp but i need to know what tools to use i heard u could use a dremmel tool but if anyone has done it before plz give advise or step by step would be greatly appreciated i want the unique sound of the custom exhaust heres a pic of mine

knonfs 09-23-2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dtownrebell07 (Post 840520)
I have an m4 carbon fiber exhaust iv recently ordered a gp exhaust but i have been reading on cutting an the one i have already and if its pretty easy to do then i will return the gp but i need to know what tools to use i heard u could use a dremmel tool but if anyone has done it before plz give advise or step by step would be greatly appreciated i want the unique sound of the custom exhaust heres a pic of mine

I have the same exact exhaust, and managed to cut about 5 inches from it. The process is very simple:

1 - Mark where you want to cut it
2 - Use a drill bit, and drill out the 4 washers (can't remember the name) at the end of the muffler.
3 - Remove end tip off the muffler
4 - Cut the canister AND the inner perforated tube
5 - Slide end tip into the canister but not all the way in. Mark the new holes on the canister
6 - Drill holes
7 - Slide end tip all the way in
8 - Put the pins (can't remember the name :icon_doh: ) You can get the "pins" at home depot/lowes

Yes, you can use a dremel, or a sawzall, or a die grinder, etc.

yog182 09-23-2009 09:33 PM

POP RIVETS haha

knonfs 09-23-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by yog182 (Post 840601)
POP RIVETS haha

YES, "rivets" LOL :icon_teeth:

Thanks man!

Timmy_Jones 09-23-2009 10:59 PM

If you're asking what too to cut with, I would say a sawzall, a dremel may tangle up with the packing in the muffler. Just go straight through with a sawzall, or take it to a muffle shop and have them do the cut and rivet.

knonfs 09-24-2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 840615)
If you're asking what too to cut with, I would say a sawzall, a dremel may tangle up with the packing in the muffler. Just go straight through with a sawzall, or take it to a muffle shop and have them do the cut and rivet.

A welding shop should be able to do it too. IMHO, the best toll for this job is a chop saw.

Incognito 09-24-2009 12:08 PM

Here's a couple of write-ups: No.1 & No.2.

nickels 09-24-2009 12:23 PM

The best way to do it is a bandsaw i would say. A dremel takes forever and its hard on the dremel. If you got a lame sawzaw like me then it will proly be haggered. I used a hack saw which took some muscle but if you got a good blade its not to bad. After that you need to grind it smooth and even.

agent orange 09-25-2009 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut my stock one down.. haven't had a chance to see how it sounds yet tho.. still painting the tank at the moment.. but here's how it looks

Attachment 60487

yog182 09-25-2009 04:55 PM

Damn thats clean!!! Me like!!