F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how to check the fuel cut relay?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check the fuel cut relay?

My fuel pump won't prime and and I took the the brown wire from the fuel pump connector and touched it to the battery and my fuel pumped turned on. so the next thing to check is fuel cut relay right? How do I do that. Do I check it with a voltmeter? or is there another way? and if you check it with a volt meter how do I do that? Thanks.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Which brown wire did you touch to the battery? was the battery connected to the bike or a side battery?

my fuel pump also wont prime. please give step by step how u hot wired the pump to the battery pls. much appreciated

Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Grafx
Which brown wire did you touch to the battery? was the battery connected to the bike or a side battery?

my fuel pump also wont prime. please give step by step how u hot wired the pump to the battery pls. much appreciated
I connected it to my bikes battery on the positive side. If you look at the plug that connects to the fuel pump theres 3 wires. one is green, one is brown with black stripe, and one is brown. Cut the brown one and touch it to the battery. if you hear the fuel pump going than it's good and I was told to next check the fuel cut relay which is on the right side of the tail. it has 4 wires going to it. a brown with black, a brown, and 2 black with white wires. I havn't learned how to check that yet so if you figure out please let me know.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stunt'n70f4i
I connected it to my bikes battery on the positive side. If you look at the plug that connects to the fuel pump theres 3 wires. one is green, one is brown with black stripe, and one is brown. Cut the brown one and touch it to the battery. if you hear the fuel pump going than it's good and I was told to next check the fuel cut relay which is on the right side of the tail. it has 4 wires going to it. a brown with black, a brown, and 2 black with white wires. I havn't learned how to check that yet so if you figure out please let me know.

I'm not sure where to locate the 3 wires (brown/green ones).

As for the relay, APPARENTLY (so ive read) both(engine relay and fuel relay) should "click" when you turn the ignition on. only my engine relay does. and ive even tried a new relay and it still wont click. but if its not supposed to click then im not sure. a basic multimeter with 12v capabilities should be able check it.

could u post a pic maybe of exactly the wires im supposed to cut/locate? i really dont want to cut the wrong thing

Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure where to locate the 3 wires (brown/green ones).

As for the relay, APPARENTLY (so ive read) both(engine relay and fuel relay) should "click" when you turn the ignition on. only my engine relay does. and ive even tried a new relay and it still wont click. but if its not supposed to click then im not sure. a basic multimeter with 12v capabilities should be able check it.

could u post a pic maybe of exactly the wires im supposed to cut/locate? i really dont want to cut the wrong thing

ok. only my engine cut relay clicks but thats when I turn it off. And do you know where the fuel pump is? if you take off the tank under it is the fuel pump and theres a plug that runs from the fuel pump to another plug. it has those 3 wire just find a spot any where from that plug to the fuel relay that it goes to and it cut it and have the wires shoeing so you can touch it to the battery.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stunt'n70f4i
ok. only my engine cut relay clicks but thats when I turn it off. And do you know where the fuel pump is? if you take off the tank under it is the fuel pump and theres a plug that runs from the fuel pump to another plug. it has those 3 wire just find a spot any where from that plug to the fuel relay that it goes to and it cut it and have the wires shoeing so you can touch it to the battery.

So i NEED to take off the tank to see these 3 wires?

Also, only my engine relay clicks when i turn the ignition to ON. Not the fuel relay.

Does your fuel relay make a click when u turn it to on?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM

So i NEED to take off the tank to see these 3 wires?

Also, only my engine relay clicks when i turn the ignition to ON. Not the fuel relay.

Does your fuel relay make a click when u turn it to on?
Yea. But you can just unbolt the 4 bolts and lift it out of the way. and no my fuel relay doesn't make any sounds. only the engine relay when I turn the key off.