F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how bad will it look?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how bad will it look?

Well I blew my front tire and luckily didn't lay the bike down, but bent the hell out of the rim.

I found a rim with a tire on e-bay for 159.99. Not to bad of a deal, I won it but the seller said they put the wrong picture up and sent me the right pictures after I won the action.

The new rim has a polished lip and a newer tire, now my question is how bad is my bike going to look with a chrome lip rim on the front and not the back? The seller said since it was his fault he refunded my shipping but the tire is almost brand new and the rim looks the same.

Just seeing if you guys have ever seen a f4i with a chrome lip on the front but not the back....

Thanks guys.

-Aaron

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Get it and don't worry about looks, you will be riding so fast nobody will be able to see it anyways.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM

u can always paint it to cover it. or use whatever color tape to go around it front/back to match ur bike. how did u tire go out? nail, low on treads, or weather cracks?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM

you could always ride around until you need a back tire and get the lip on the rear rim polished out to match it

Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lip is POLISHED not CHROME, huge difference. Like previously stated, put it on and ride. And you can polish the rear yourself, its not that difficult, just requires lotsa patience. There's a write up how to DIY without taking the wheel off but its easier to work on a bench than on your knees. From what I've read, the hard part is taping off the section you dont want polished. From there its a matter of removing the paint and sanding it down with progressively finer sandpaper, and doing a final polish to it. Air tools make the job a hellofalot easier. (die grinder w/ a buffing wheel on it). But it can be done by hand it just requires more elbow grease. I guess a drill would work if you dont have access to air. Whatever you decide, it really doesnt matter what anyone thinks except you. Ride safe

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM

The valve stem just exploded, I have no idea how. I was driving doing about 40mph and I heard a loud pop the front of the bike lifted up and I already knew what had happened...
I could just put another one in there but that is the tire that came with the bike so I figure since my new rim is coming with a tire there is no reason to replace that old one...

Long story short I rode a wheelie looking for a good spot to put it down, slowed down to around 15-20 and set it down and the rubber was still on the rim at that point and i was able to manhandle the bike to the side of the road....

It was quite a scary experience, I am just really glad it didn't happen when I was on the highway or it would have been a different story, I have only had the bike since the beginning of November. Luckily I live in Texas and there has only been about a week of sub 70 degree weather so I have already put almost 1100 miles on her, just getting a feel for how she drives.

Thanks for the replies, I will see how she looks with one chrome and one not and then decide when I change the tire in the next few months....

-Aaron

Search this Thread