F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How bad is rust in the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is rust in the fuel tank?

OK, I've owned my bike for 9 months now and for 8k miles my bike has had a strange power issue. It's done this on/off when the fuel is starting to get low but well before the fuel light comes on. The other day I had ridden 90 miles since fill-up and I went to pass someone and went WOT in 2nd and the bike wouldn't accelerate at all. I had to quick upshift every gear in order for it to go. After I got by I slowed down in 2nd gear and then tried to go WOT and it didn't go anywhere. It wouldn't even accelerate.

I filled the tank back up and bam, back to normal. It seems like everytime I go over 75 miles ridden there is a chance of this happening. I've already replaced my fuel pressure regulator and it was fine.

So....I tore my bike to pieces over the last couple days and I pulled the fuel tank and drained it and found something interesting. Good old rust in the fuel tank.

I assume this could have been effecting performance? Perhaps the fuel filter is getting clogged? I can't afford a new tank but now that the gas has been drained out when I put new gas in the rust that was in there should be gone right?

Also, when I pulled the tank one of the bottom lines looked like this.
This part....

Went into this on the bottom of the tank. But the line looks like it's broken or something. This isn't the way the original line is it?

Can anyone find this line on this page?
http://www.seminolepowersports.com/f...2004&fveh=3053

Is it 41? Or maybe 40 perhaps? It's all chewed up on the end so I thought it must have been broken before or something.

I would really appreaciate some info on this matter.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM

The two hoses are vent tubes that go to the bottom of the tank. The 2nd one is not supposed to look like that.

That rust you want to keep a very close eye on. Perhaps consider flushing the tank out a few more times and buy some stock in Honda fuel filters.

If it were my bike, I'd be changing that fuel filter out every 1000 miles until I knew the rust sediment was gone.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM

i'd buy a kreme kit - you can get one at basically any bike dealer
it will put a white coating on the inside of the tank and stop the rust from continuing to form

they're about $50, but are well worth every penny

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bergs
The two hoses are vent tubes that go to the bottom of the tank. The 2nd one is not supposed to look like that.

That rust you want to keep a very close eye on. Perhaps consider flushing the tank out a few more times and buy some stock in Honda fuel filters.

If it were my bike, I'd be changing that fuel filter out every 1000 miles until I knew the rust sediment was gone.
I found the first hose actually inside of the second hose when I pulled the tank. Can you pick out on the diagram in the link I put up what hose it is supposed to be? I assume it's supposed to be one long piece.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bwayers
i'd buy a kreme kit - you can get one at basically any bike dealer
it will put a white coating on the inside of the tank and stop the rust from continuing to form

they're about $50, but are well worth every penny
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM

I have a bit of rust in my tank to =/ I hope this doesnt come back to bite me in the ***

Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=JeremyGSU;752742]OK, I've owned my bike for 9 months now and for 8k miles my bike has had a strange power issue. It's done this on/off when the fuel is starting to get low but well before the fuel light comes on. The other day I had ridden 90 miles since fill-up and I went to pass someone and went WOT in 2nd and the bike wouldn't accelerate at all.

So....I tore my bike to pieces over the last couple days and I pulled the fuel tank and drained it and found something interesting. Good old rust in the fuel tank.

what causes rust in the tank? is it because you let it sit over the winter for so long and it only has a half a tank or less of fuel that it starts to build up or what?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JIMMY02F4I
what causes rust in the tank? is it because you let it sit over the winter for so long and it only has a half a tank or less of fuel that it starts to build up or what?
Essentially, yes. I bought the bike last May and the guy I bought it from said it had sat for around 5-6 months so I should have known better. Since I got it it hasn't gone for more than two weeks without being ridden.

I don't want to get the Kreme kit after doing some research but I plan to fill it with gas again drain and change out the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter and see if she runs better.

In fact, this makes a lot of sense as to the power issue I have the more I think about it. When it was getting low on gas the rust may have blocked the lines but it didn't always happen because it's swishing around. When the bike was filled back up the rust was mixed with the gas so it wouldn't all go through at once so the bike would run OK again. HHMM, I may have just figured out my problem.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 03-04-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM

I can't see the link at the moment. Will have to try later.

All in all, before you decide to Kreme the tank, buy a bunch of small steel ball bearings, throw those in the tank and shake the hell out of it for a few minutes. Doing this will loosen up any metal flakes inside the tank instead of having them break off post-Kreme sometime down the road.

Then again, if you do the ball bearing method you likely won't need to Kreme the tank.

Finally, keep the tank fully fueled during extended storage times. Condensation buildup from temperature changes is what causes the rust to form.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM

I dont have that hose ???????????where dose it go to..
Name:  Photo0070.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  86.0 KB

Last edited by franz; 03-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: How bad is rust in the fuel tank?