Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To Avoid Your Bike From Being Stolen

Full coverage on your insurance
Chain thru the frame
Block off with a car whenever possible
Alarm+Pager if possible

The idea is to have time consuming deterrents, which should keep most of the guys from stealing it.

If you take it to work, try to always keep it in your sight or atleast get to know the security guys.

If you ride with guys you meet online never show them where your bikes parked or let them know of any security features like alarms, etc your bike has.

When driving home be aware of anyone following you...

HTH
Ashish Hareet

Old 09-20-2006, 12:02 AM

i work on a military base..... people would be shot before they got away with my bike... and i keep a THICK chain and uncuttable lock (unless you use a plasma cutter) with me in my back pack. gets heavy at times. but im generally in areas that i dont have to worry about it

Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: VoodooStar

Chain thru the frame
I dont understand this method. So far i have the disc lock.
You have a picture?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 PM

chain through the frame or a disc lock its going to do the same exact thing. Its more of a visual thing. The more crap you have on your bike that says stay the the f*ck away. The less chance of someone screwing with it.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Advert25

chain through the frame or a disc lock its going to do the same exact thing.
No, the chain through the frame then goes aroung an immovable opject (light pole, telephone pole, ground anchor). This keeps them from picking the bike up and loading it into a van. A disc lock just keeps them from rolling it away.

Anyone who has loaded a wrecked bike knows how easy it is to throw a bike in a vehicle and be off.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 AM

Yeh Blackdogs right, they just pick it up slide it in a pickup. A common thing is a biked parked in front your car in a apt parking lot. A few guys will pick it up, over your car, scratching the **** out of the car and then be gone. My method is: lock stearing, lock both rotors, chain rear wheel and then full cover. About the chain. It is galvanized 1/2" size which just fits into a thrift shop wire spiral vacuum cleaner hose. The hose is trimmed just so the very end of each end link protrudes. Ive then got hd plastic zip ties about every 6" thru hose and chain. The whole mess is covered in many layers of duct tape. My thought is that this will protect my rear wheel from abrasion plus you will have to really spend time with a wire cutter/utility knive just to expose enough for a large bolt cutter. The ends of this thing goes into a 2"x2" chunk of mild steel sq tube with welded flanges with holes for 3/8" expansion bolts (rounded heads). I drilled a hole toward the end of the sq tube for a lock designed for a trailer hitch (slip the lock thru the tube, thru the 2 chain ends and out the other end. Then it has a lock on the other side. The chain ends are hidden in the tube. Kind of involved but I feel good about it. BTW the bike is parked out of sight from the public which is half the battle.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Just remember that you CANT STOP someone from stealing your bike. All you can do is slow them down or make it difficult enought that they want to try someone else.

Thieves know there are a bunch of folks who don't lock thier bikes down, so they will bypass hevily secured bikes for ones that arent locked.

I am looking at a setup like this for touring:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...s_item&pgrp=20

Old 09-24-2006, 04:06 PM

I got a scorpio alarm system. The range of the alarm is insane - it has a pager system and each time they hit the bike, get close to it or try to straighten it, it sounds a loud alarm and pages you. Obviously you have to be within range of the alarm.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

I usually just park next to someone elses Ducati 999s or Bimota, usually they don't even notice my bike.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 PM

hey, i have the same question, just got my bike...

wat do u guys think of the Internatrix alarm advertised at the top of the forum's home page? im sure plenty of u have checked it out...it seems like a good deal...lemme kno wat u think?(http://www.internatrix.com/)

Quick Reply: How To Avoid Your Bike From Being Stolen