F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hotbodies Undertail Install on 03 F4i Complete

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotbodies Undertail Install on 03 F4i Complete

I realize I'm the 10,031st person to put a hotbodies kit on an F4i but here is my install post anyway in case anybody needs it in the future. First off I cansay that the final result is one I am happy with. I can also say that the kit is horribly over priced for what you get. $200 +/- depending on where you order it from for a piece of painted ABS with some weak LED's. The instructions are adequate but not exactly thorough.

As for the install process, be prepared to do some additional trimming after your initial cutting of the existing fender. Have a dremel tool and use the larger wheel attachment as it will cut faster and won't clog up as fast with melted plastic.

Be sure to get your wires laid out correctly BEFORE you start joining them together. I almost hooked up my turn signals backwards before I looked again and remembered my left from my right. Remember to keep all nuts, bolts, and washers with the pieces they came with. I put everything in plastic sandwich bags and label them. Seal your connections well with shrink-tubing and/or electrical tape because the inside of the tail section is not completely water tight especially when washing the bike.

I still haven't mounted my license plate as I think the new tail is so clean looking. I am thinking of mounting it off one of the passenger pegs when my new shorty exhaust arrives.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Default RE: Hotbodies Undertail Install on 03 F4i Complete

BEFORE:

Name:  F4i006.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  61.6 KB
Name:  undertailinstall001.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  67.7 KB
Name:  undertailinstall004.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  undertailinstall005.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Looks very nice. Im with ya on the license plate... after installing an undertail you hate to clutter it back up with the plate. I stuck mine way back under the battery box. Keeps the tail nice and clean looking.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26813/BB48FC7E96E64CD597907BC56B1D0E15.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM

I just put in a Pimpbike Undertail with SUPER bright LED's. The entire thing cost me $95 shipped off of EBay. I compared it to a buddies Hotbodies and we both agree it was the same quaility but with brighter LED's and its lighter because it is Fiberglass. Yours looks clean though. As far as the plate goes, just got to Home Depot and buy 2 "L" brackets for $3 and mount them either an the passenger peg or down at the base of the undertail.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wannaride

Looks very nice. Im with ya on the license plate... after installing an undertail you hate to clutter it back up with the plate. I stuck mine way back under the battery box. Keeps the tail nice and clean looking.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26813/BB48FC7E96E64CD597907BC56B1D0E15.jpg[/IMG]
that would get you some many tickets around here lol. Tho I agree, I hated to install mine tag bracket after installing the undertail.

Looks good dude, so much cleaner.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I think it would only be a matter of time before I got pulled over for mounting my plate under the battery. I held it under there after I got done to see what it looked like and figured with me on the bike a cop would have a hard time seeing it.

The problem with being pulled over is not necessarily the exact reason you were pulled but whatever else the cop notices after. Hell, plenty of vehicle requirements and driving laws are just put on the books so cops can pull people and check for the major shyt once they get you stopped.

Back to the plate though, there is not much you can do other than a footpeg mount.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: StrikeAnywhere

Back to the plate though, there is not much you can do other than a footpeg mount.
If you want to spend some money or are good at fabricating things I've seen brackets that mount to your swingarm and look pretty bad *** IMO. I just suck at making things and I can't justify $90 for the bracket, but I do think they look sharp. Here's a link to one

http://www.motosport.com/street/prod...mp;cat0=METRIC

Old 06-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: StuDog44

ORIGINAL: StrikeAnywhere

If you want to spend some money or are good at fabricating things I've seen brackets that mount to your swingarm and look pretty bad *** IMO. I just suck at making things and I can't justify $90 for the bracket, but I do think they look sharp. Here's a link to one

http://www.motosport.com/street/prod...mp;cat0=METRIC
those will get you a ticket too. Law requires the tag to readable, and LEO gets a bit annoyed cocking their head sideways to read those. Not to mention it places it lower that the law requires too. I personally dont like those myself, but know of several ppl with em.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM

yeah I'm not a big fan of the swing arm mounted plate either especially on sport bikes

Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Very nice. The Gray/Red color setup is one of my favorites. Your bike looks really clean with the undertail on it. I really didnt want to put my plate back there either, but its not worth the money I would have to spend in tickets.

Quick Reply: Hotbodies Undertail Install on 03 F4i Complete