CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Horrible noise near front sprocket!? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/horrible-noise-near-front-sprocket-124572/)

woodypk 04-27-2011 12:13 PM

Horrible noise near front sprocket!?

Hey guys, I get to ride my bike for the first time (legally) on sunday this week but I have found a fault.

When the rear wheel is in motion the front sprocket 'area' makes this horrible knocking noise.

The noise I can describe is like the chain is slipping a tooth for example or catching on some metal or hard surface making a knock, but I have taken all the front sprocket cover, hugger and chain guard and anything covering the chain to be able to view it at all parts of the chain and its not catching anywhere.

The chain seems to go round smoothely but it does jump about but am 100% sure it is not catching, it seems more like behind where the front sprocket is (inside) it is making this awful noise.

I stood my bike up on a stand and put it into gear and it is slightly/moderately noticable at idle in 1st gear. When I slightly pump the rear break it gets Very VERY noticable and can sound like anything from a knock, to a repeated - KnockKnockKnockKnockKnock - sound.

Does this sound cctl related or something else? Please help because I've had my bike sitting in the shed for over 6 months now and I can't wait to ride it and this is the only thing stopping me. My insurance is all set to start on the sunday but if I cant fix my bike then I wont be able to ride!

Also we have lots of national holidays coming up from thursday - tuesday so taking it to a garage is not an option.

Please help me O' wiz geniouses!

John Cu 04-27-2011 03:08 PM

Does the sound change or is it more frequently when you accelerate?? do you adjust the chain before that ride??

Check the chain slack, it could be too tight and maybe the front sprocket has a little wear...

woodypk 04-27-2011 06:35 PM

It happens a little at idle when the chain is running round in 1st with the back wheel lifted and when I twist the throttle and push rear break it does it most then. Most when braking/slowing down definately. Im sure the chain is fine it has about an inch and a quater slack and is in good condition. I will check the sprockets tomorrow but im sure they are ok. It sounds like its coming from inside, behind the front sprocket.

jeffjones 04-27-2011 06:38 PM

Make sure you take your chain measurements all over then chain.
I just found a huge tight spot in my chain that Im trying to figure out wht to do with.
One section was like 1/4" and the rest is like was 1.5"

woodypk 04-27-2011 07:04 PM

ok ill check but it doesnt explain why it does it even more when i press the brake on and off does it?

any2wheels 04-28-2011 01:31 AM

Does it make the same noise when you push the bike in neutral, or is it solely when the bike is under power?

woodypk 04-28-2011 11:20 AM

No not in neutral. The wheel has to be spinning fairly fast and thats when it knocks frequently. When it is spinning and then being stopped at a fast pace i.e fast breaking thats when it gets loud... i put the bike in neutral and span the wheel and there was no noise. only in gear. any more please? Its getting closer to sunday...:icon_emm:

F34Me? 04-28-2011 11:42 AM

Might just be a bearing needing grease or something similar, have you gotten it good and hot to see if the sound works itself out? After sitting for a prolonged period bikes can often pick up noises that disappear after a good ride in!

woodypk 04-28-2011 06:33 PM

No, tbh F34, I'ts probably done around 3 miles in around 6 months so that could be the problem, but I didn't want to ride it and see if it works out because I'm worried that if I ride it, I could make it worse.

I guess I will just have to go for it. Hondas are built like tanks anway, thats why I bought two. Cheers F34 I will try and let you know how it goes after a few hours ride on sunday and hope for the best.

dveldtf4i 04-28-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by woodypk (Post 1046114)
No, tbh F34, I'ts probably done around 3 miles in around 6 months so that could be the problem, but I didn't want to ride it and see if it works out because I'm worried that if I ride it, I could make it worse.

I guess I will just have to go for it. Hondas are built like tanks anway, thats why I bought two. Cheers F34 I will try and let you know how it goes after a few hours ride on sunday and hope for the best.

^ and then we'll see another post late tonight about how he was stuck on the side of the road because the noise was a bearing that was shot and blew a rod through the side of the case :icon_goofygrin:

Hope it's nothing. I've got an odd grinding sound coming from the engine when I'm stopped in neutral, but I also haven't ridden it more than a 1/2 mile and the bike sat for 4 months. I filled her up with some synthetic last weekend, and this weekend I finally get to bring her home and give her a proper run, hoping it goes away myself.