F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Holy smokes what is going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy smokes what is going on here?

I bought this 01 about 3 months ago. It seemed to run fine at the time. I stripped it down (didn't touch the engine except for putting in the correct spark plugs and a k&n filter) and cleaned, painted, and replaced damaged parts, then re-assembled. I got it together yesterday and started it. It seemed to run good. Today I started it and now gasoline is dripping rapidly from my header-to-tail pipe joint. It is spitting gas all over the garage from the tail pipe. I did turn the idle adjuster some, but that is the only thing I've done. Can someone give me an idea where to start with this? Thanks!

Also, I connected the front LED turn signals and they just stay on solid when I turn them on. Not sure why. I know they worked correctly when I bought it.

Oh, and when I give it the throttle, the left and right turn signal indicator on the speedo light up!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible that you may have cracked your fuel-line in the process of doing maintenance, causing the leak? However, it does seem strange the way you describe it leaking.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its leaking directly from the exhaust joint, it sounds like you might have a dead cylinder thats not firing, causing the unburned gas to build up and drip through the exhaust.

Check all spark plug wires you might have miss re-connecting one? You can have a dead cylinder on these bikes and not even hear a difference only a lack of power.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

a hose probably came undone under the gas tank when you change the air filter

Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. I'm home now, so I will check out the spark shortly. Pretty sure its not a fuel line leaking because its blowing out the exhaust.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 AM

Well, I ripped it back apart, pulled the plugs and checked for spark. I have spark to all 4. They are new plugs with only about 2 minutes of run time on them. 1 and 4 were blackened a bit, but 2 and 3 were clean. Checked all my wiring and connectors. Put it back together and tried starting it. Now it wont even start. Gas still coming out of header-to-midpipe joint. Just to rehash... the only thing I did from yesterday when it started and ran good til the time I started it and it ran like crap and spit raw gas, was:

A. Connected my front turn signals (no relation).
B. Cranked on the idle adjuster to try bringing my idle up.

Could I have broken something with the idle adjuster?

p.s. This sucks.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Not sure about the gas leak thing. But the indicators being on solid sounds like you got a wire wrong on each side...leds work only as two wire. Hooking all three will make the lights stay on in the cluster and could possibly blow them out. Trust me I tried once...now I need new signals up front.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
Not sure about the gas leak thing. But the indicators being on solid sounds like you got a wire wrong on each side...leds work only as two wire. Hooking all three will make the lights stay on in the cluster and could possibly blow them out. Trust me I tried once...now I need new signals up front.
I only hooked up 2 wires and I tried them both ways. One way they don't work at all and the other they stay on solid. These are the same lights that were on it when I bought it and they worked before I tore it apart and rebuilt it. I probably screwed something up in the harness. Maybe I'll order a harness off ebay.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM

About the fuel issue... I was digging around some more on the forum and came across a guy with the exact same issue I have. He said injectors 1 and 4 were working correctly and 2 and 3 were "dumping" gas in the cylinders. A couple guys suggested he had a bad FPR. He never wrote whether that fixed it or not, but I ordered one today. I will get it Friday and I hope that fixes it. Does this sound like it may be it to you guys?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 PM

something that just came to my mind is the connector above the CCT. i think its to the fpr(not sure) but i forgot to plug it back in when i did my tensioner and it ran like ****(sound like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders).

is it throwing any codes?

Quick Reply: Holy smokes what is going on here?