F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hit a log on the highway tonight...need help

Old 09-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a log on the highway tonight...need help

well like it says, I hit a log that fell off a truck down in cleveland on the highway and it bounced me up into the air almost as if I was doing a Heart attack (moto trick) and luckily I laned back down on the bike while the back end was losing control, I pulled it off to the side and found that I have a rather large bend on my front rim and a smaller bend on the back one. The bike rides horribly right now. Im wondering if I can have them bent back and if there is anything else that could be ****ed up cus when I go around turns now it trys to pull the bike to the ground and it is very hard to turn at slow speeds. Also how much do new rims cost and is the bike safe to ride to a dealer to have it fixed?

Thanks
Nick

Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Default RE: Hit a log on the highway tonight...need help

u might want to check ur front forks and rear shock...cuz the forks might have gotten bent and the rear shock could be blown

Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 AM

take pictures be very detailed and close up there are a lot of people here that will try and help. Hard to say from description but your forks and triple clamp might be messed. Sounds like one of the more lucky recoveries I've heard of. Sign up for an ebay account... and join the club. Stay away from dealers for purchasing parts.. you'll pay retail and tax.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM

scratch that your forks are toast I was trying to be conservative... you'd be fortunate to have not messed your rotors and triple clamp.. worst case too is your frame has been tweeked to a noticable amount. take pictures... brace yourself its gonna hurt.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:48 AM

I have an extra set complete triple clamp and forks off an 01... let me know.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:57 PM

i've seen several sets of rims on ebay recently, check things out there.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM

I would call your insurance company, it could save you alot of money. Sorry to hear about your bike but at least your still around to tell about the damage. Hope its not too bad.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a good idea to ride it -- with a bent rim you could be losing air in the tires. Low air could also cause the handling issues you mentioned. I managed to bend both rims on a bike by hitting a pothole -- it was either the hole or the car coming in my lane. Suspension bottomed out but there was no damage to the forks -- only the wheels and tires. Stock forks have a safety built in to keep you from killing them when bottoming out hard. This doesn't mean your forks are o.k. I don't know how big the log was or how hard you hit it. Your suspension could be toast.

First get in touch with these guys -- Wheel UnBenders They do good work and can save you bunches of $$ on new or e-bay wheels. Second, check your air pressure -- if it's real low then you've got a leak. Don't ride it!! Have it towed.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 AM

If you call your insurance company, which isn't a bad idea with more than say $1500 in damage make sure you make it clear you're taking it to a Honda dealer. They will spec out used and nasty **** and still mark it up for retail with their own network of repair shops. They could take your bent fork off and put a little less bent forks right back on.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 AM

I know insurance people.. they do the same to bikes and cars... they don't give you new what they don't have to. that's how they make their money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hit a log on the highway tonight...need help