F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hit by a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit by a car

Well yesterday i was driving home about 5:40 PM when i got hit by a car. I was going north bound on a street that leads to my house. The street i needed to make a right turn on was about 300 ft in front of me, so i put on my right blinker to turn. well there was a lady sitting in her jeep cheroke at a stop sign at the street that intersects with the one that i am driving about 36 mph on, waiting to turn right. she sees my signal blinking and assumes that i am truning on the street that she is waiting at. According to the MSF course hand book, you are supposed to signal 300 ft before your turn on a motorcycle. I just got done with the advanced MSF course so i should remember all that stuff. well she assumed wrong and proceded to take the right turn on the street i am traveling on. i was her and swerved to the left lane to try and avoid her and applied both of my brakes pretty firmly. she decided to take the turn wide and go into the left lane as well, and thats where the impact occured. it was kind of like a side swipe. the amazing part was, was that i didnt drop the bike. i kept the rubber side down even after being hit by a car!. then as i throw the bike in nutral and put the kick stand down, she tries to leave!. i run to her window and hit it and tell her to stop cause i am calling the cops. so i call my parents who live 2 miles away and they come there. my mom starts freakin out and calls the paramedics and everything, cause my right leg was a little sore from ripping the molding off that ladys jeep. the paremedics get there and i am fine. then the cops get there and ticket the lady for failing to yeild the right of way. she tries to tell the cops that i was in excessive speed. i tell the cops that if i was in excessive speed, do you think i would be in this good of condition? they believe me. i was wearing all my gear so i believe that saved me from injuries. the bike isnt too bad, it bent my exhaust, bent my licence plate (boo hoo), put a few scuffs on the right side fairing, cracked the front fairing where the blinker goes on and thats about all i can see. so i made an insurance claim right away and i should have an adjuster from her insurance out here on monday. i will keep you all posted. a bit of advice, take the MSF cources if you can, they teach you the proper way to manuver and react in situations, and keep the rubber side down. be safe.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Hit by a car

glad to see you didn't het hurt bad man.Good driving

Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 PM

First, you are lucky that you get to rid, my weather sucks, it's winter, and freezing rain right now. .

Second, glad to know your ok! Excessive speed? Damn them cagers.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM

glad to hear ur good and grats on not dropping her(im sure she thanks you also). thats awesome that they gave her a ticket, ever since ive started riding ive always been alot more causious with other riders on the road now and usually stay right behind them so no one else **** with them or doesnt see them.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:35 PM

its funny, the lady told the police "he came out of no where." i dont see how she could have not seenme, with my blinker on and my brights shining every where. I have had some close calls like this before, but never impacted. I usually let off the throttle a bit when i see a car waiting at a stop sign, just as a saftey barrier, cause i dont trust cagers, and i think thats what saved me some major damage to both me and the bike.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:22 PM

oh and another note.By law she was at fault whether you were speeding like a mad man or doing the limit.I had my car totalled over this same thing and the judge at court ruled in my favor.Exact words were speeding or not you failed to yeild the right away.I won

Old 01-14-2007, 02:45 PM

But as you drive a car are ride a bike in the future when this happens you may want to turn your blinker on a little bit later. in this case I would turn my blinker on as I pass in front of her car. that way she sees you and the people behind you see you.sometimes I will make try to make eye contact with the driver and point in the direction Iam going.I think the rules are writen for most cases and cannot cover ever case.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:01 PM

well when I see a car/bike with a turn signal on I don't ever pull out till I see them engage their turn.Whether the rules were written for common sense.If you are at a stop sign you have to yeild right of way no matter where you think someone will or will not turn

Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM

glad your ok man, Ive heard too many stories recently that havent turned out so good, Kinda getting me worried to go riding in the city.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Glad you're OK. What happened to you is something I'm always afraid of. I probably get too preoccupied watching thosefolks at intersections.