F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID's, GOOD! 2.5" DENT... BAD ARGGHHH!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's, GOOD! 2.5" DENT... BAD ARGGHHH!!

Man, i'm so bum'd right now! I got this gorgeous used f4i with low miles, for a decent price, and went mod nutz on it like i usually do with all of my toys.

Well, while doing a HID upgrade, which turned out great for the exception of the bulb temps.... low is about 8k and high is more like a 10k... need to get 6k all around.

Anyways, when all is said and done, just finished buttoning up the last bolt on those cumbersome, stress-o-matic intake covers, and all of a sudden the rear stand slips and the bike beginnings to fall over!!! I rushed to save it and honestly, it faired out ok but cosmetically, the stock stickers on the left-hand side of the swing-arm got a little scuffed up.... nothing a new, cool sticker won't fix..

However, the biggest bummer is the tank.. it now sports what could be a 2" dent on the right-hand side. Right where the tank tapers for your knee's to huge the tank.... THERE!!!!

man, i almost smashed my brand new exo-1000 but i wised up.. but after kicking a few boxes!!

So, im sorta **** and i dunno if i can live with this dent... Do any of you guys have any real world experience on how to remove that dent. I think the tank is actually a cover that goes over the real fuel.. or am i wrong? This way, i can remove it and trying to bang it out.

Or maybe one of those paintless dent removal systems.. or, i could just get another one.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Default RE: HID's, GOOD! 2.5" DENT... BAD ARGGHHH!!

double post!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 PM

well if you can find a tig welder that wants to fix a gas tank you can try......a lot of guys are really leary about workin on motorcycle gas tanks cause its hella hard to get all the fumes out.....there are sooo many horor stories about explosions while pulling dents on bike tanks.......anyway.....to go about it with that size of a dent, itll prolly take a good welder 10 or 15 welds to pull that out, what they do is well little rods onto the tank and slowly pull the dent out, and then refinish from there......

Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 PM

any body shop or anyone who can fix a dent in a car can fix a dent in tank....i got a dent about the size of a baseball in my tank....and just took the gas cap off...and the fuel sending unit out and let it air for abour two days...then i went right on using our dent puller which welds rods to the tanks and pulls the dent out.....i imagine the tank could explode when welded but i would think you would have had to just drained the gas like 2 seconds before hand, or not at all[sm=nono.gif], and the fumes were still very strong in the tank to blow to the point it would cause any real damage.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 PM

so, he miracle paintless dent removal thingy isn't gonna work with this one?!

damn it man! I just don't trust anyone with paint around here.... and i cannot do it since i really have no time to dedicate to paint a tank back to factory.

anyone want to trade?!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

click here

or click here

theres a couple tanks if u dont wanta repair that one.....i am guessing itll prolly cost in the neighborhood of 3-400 to repair that tank......

Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM

that really sucks, but unfortunatly that is the tank and not just a cover.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: travsstuff

click here

or click here

theres a couple tanks if u dont wanta repair that one.....i am guessing itll prolly cost in the neighborhood of 3-400 to repair that tank......

hey, thanks. Im gonna swing by my local MC shop and they said they can get it worked...maybe something like $500.00 without paint i think

Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 PM

bondo and paint you should be ok. Idk if youd wanna pull em out or what not bondo is cheaper anyways.

I was putting the stock dogbone in the rear (bike was lowered), and all of a sudden as im leaner over to get both sides bike falls over. I grabbed it as soon as it hit a huge cardboad box full of blankets so i got lucky.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Man when i was putting in my hids i rolled the bike forward a few inches and it pushed the kickstand up ever so slightly, so when i set it down it fell to the garage floor, so I have a few nice scratches on the mid fairing and left side cover. Kind of strange we both had pretty much the same thing happen to us while installing hids.

Quick Reply: HID's, GOOD! 2.5" DENT... BAD ARGGHHH!!