F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

Well, I'm not sure the next time I'll take my front fairing off, but I'll try to describe how I did as best as I can right now off the top of my head.

I tried to make everything as compact as possible, so I modified the kit a little bit to reduce the amount of wiring. So this first step is optional but I think it makes the kit tidier and more compact:

The kit comes with connectors that will plug into the stock headlight socket. I cut off the headlight sockets and saved them with my stock headlights. I also cut off the connectors that came with the kit and trimmed that pair of wires down to the fuse. Strip the ends of those wires and wire em together with some butt clamps (or solder if you're feeling fancy). Test to make sure the headlights turn on and you didn't wire it up wrong. Then wrap some electrical tape around that.

Then I took the ignitor and wrapped the thick black wire coming off it around it (180 degree) and zip-tied it together. It makes it a little fatter but a little more compact too. I then took the loose wiring from everything and sort of bundled it and zip-tied it together (this includes the fuse that's part of the kit). You should now have everything wired up but not mounted up yet.

The key thing I did was mount the ballasts right next to the headlight, vertically, in between the headlight housing and these little flat edges in the middle of the nose. Stick em in there so that edge which has the red and black wire coming out of it is at the top. It should fit in there pretty snugly. The flat edges coming from the fairing (hopefully you know what I'm talking about, hard to explain without pics) have a little rubber piece attached to it that holds some wiring. The way I mounted the ballast there was to drill a couple holes in another plastic edge on top of the headlight, and daisy chain some zip ties through the ballast holes and the holes I drilled. It was a bitch to do but I feel good that it's not going anywhere. Another option would be velcro. Then the rest of the wiring and the ignitors sits at the little empty space at the bottom of the nose area.

This might not be clear without pics. If you send me a picture of the inside of your front cowl, I can draw on it and send it back to you so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 AM

Well, since I took my front fairing off today, I snapped a couple pix to show how I mounted the HID ballasts and ignitors. Hope this helps..

Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the pics socal, do you have to take off the fairings to put them in there like that?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Mine is similar.Only difference is my ballast are mounted together at the bottom.I routed the ignitors over the top edge of the lights..

But works out the same way.It removes nicely with the nose piece as one unit..

Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Yeah I had to take the fairings off, would be practically impossible otherwise.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

sorry if i missed the anwser to this but im going to buy a set for my 02 f4i this week and i noticed that you have to tell them what year and model your car is? what did you tell them for that? Thanks man

Bret

Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM

socalninja, can u repost ur pics? i cant view them nemore

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM

for anyone that might be looking, the best kit I found so far is the one from StarRotors.com 2x slim ballast, 2x bulbs w/ color temp of your choice. Specific wiring for our bikes thats plug and play for $99.95