F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

slip_
I have 10,000K, the only thing that the color temperature of the light refers to is the color it outputs, it has nothing to do with brightness. In fact I think the lower the kelvin the higher the lumens.
For HIDs, that's correct. Not necessarily so for halogens, though. The optimum light temperature is 4100~4300k.
firemanron
you purchased the 5,000 k, why not go ahead and get the 10,000? especially for someone like myself, that likes the blue color of the higher Kelvin bulbs? can you explain that. thanks.
What you get is completely up to you. I bought the 5000k because it was the closest to the optimum light temperature range. If you go up in temperature, though, it'll look cooler. I really do think that 8000, 10,000 or even 12,000k lamps look awesome, but they don't put out as much light that is receptive to the human eye. In other words, you won't be able to see as well with an 8000k+ temp as you would with a 4300k, 5000k, or 6000k temp.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 AM

thanks buffered for your help, especially for the step-by-step guide...

sorry again for the hassle

Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Some pictures would really make this thread great. If anyone decides to do this, please add some pics to this thread...

Still a nice writeup...

Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM

just so its no surprise if u get pulled over by the 5 0 hid kits r illegal for road use.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM

The 2-3 problems I got pulled over they didn't say anything about it. Or say anything about my blinker that was knocked out, or my missing mirrors lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: sandtown929

just so its no surprise if u get pulled over by the 5 0 hid kits r illegal for road use.
i dont mean to sound like a dick, so im sorry if that is how this comes across, but how come some new cars come stock with them?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Daemian:
how come some new cars come stock with them?
HID lamps are actually only illegal if they are put into a reflector lens. They're perfectly legal if they are put into a projector housing, which is what the cars that come stock with HIDs have. The problem is because when you put HID lamps into a reflector lens (the kind designed for halogen bulbs -- stock bulbs) it causes severely excessive glare. So, to counteract that, you really need to adjust the headlight aim so as not to block oncoming traffic.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Alright so i followed all your steps and it worked great! BUT the only difference was that i bought the "super slim ballast" version, which CONTRARY to assumption, takes up a lot more space because of the excess wiring of the ignitor and such. I managed to shove a bunch of the wires to the side of the air intake tube but now my fairings are sticking out. And due to trying to figure a managable configuration for the space of the ignitor, ballast and wires, it was a very hard thing to do because if you wanted to put either or in one place the wire isn't long enough. But i love the new look of these H.I.D's! Very pleased for the price, but i suggest all of you to get the regular sized version.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

Alright so i followed all your steps and it worked great! BUT the only difference was that i bought the "super slim ballast" version, which CONTRARY to assumption, takes up a lot more space because of the excess wiring of the ignitor and such. I managed to shove a bunch of the wires to the side of the air intake tube but now my fairings are sticking out. And due to trying to figure a managable configuration for the space of the ignitor, ballast and wires, it was a very hard thing to do because if you wanted to put either or in one place the wire isn't long enough. But i love the new look of these H.I.D's! Very pleased for the price, but i suggest all of you to get the regular sized version.
I run the super slim and had more than enough space to mount and hide the setup..Actually you can not tell i even have it.I can remove the front face just like if it was stock..Both of my ballast are bolted together and set on the nose "shelf" so nothing to bulge out.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

ORIGINAL: whtan20

I run the super slim and had more than enough space to mount and hide the setup..Actually you can not tell i even have it.I can remove the front face just like if it was stock..Both of my ballast are bolted together and set on the nose "shelf" so nothing to bulge out.
Could you possibly post a picture? I couldn't figure out how to fit the ballast in the nose without a bunch of wires and the ignitor sticking out. But if you could post a picture that would be very helpful because right now my ballast is sitting inside my fairing tucked in and not very secure at all.

Quick Reply: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics