CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   HID install pics (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/hid-install-pics-103843/)

Elfling 12-06-2009 06:52 PM

HID install pics

3 Attachment(s)
Stock:
Attachment 59351

Upgrade:
Attachment 59352

Glamour shot:
Attachment 59353

Very easy install (not that I did much, teh BF was driving)- ballast mounted on the left fairing, done in about 20 minutes, and that was mainly due to just tweaking.

chetman7 12-06-2009 06:57 PM

very nice..I have had my HID in the box I received them in since last last summer. Im not good with wiring.

Elfling 12-06-2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by chetman7 (Post 863394)
very nice..I have had my HID in the box I received them in since last last summer. Im not good with wiring.

It was really, really easy. It's not hard wiring, it's pretty much plug and go. Even a non-mechanic like me could follow along, I'd be comfortable doing it on my own now that I've seen it done once.

Zero1080 12-06-2009 07:17 PM

What's the temp on that HID kit? I'm looking to pick one up this winter, but it's gonna cost about 150$.

Elfling 12-06-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 863404)
What's the temp on that HID kit? I'm looking to pick one up this winter, but it's gonna cost about 150$.

That's the 55w, 6k bulb

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=105&parent=61

We just did a single, didn't cost anywhere near 150 :D Put a halogen bulb in the hi-beam just to match color.

2H company 12-06-2009 10:06 PM

I really wanna do this to my bike eventually.

You can find some deals on the internet for about 110 both high and low.

Zero1080 12-07-2009 07:32 AM

Would I be able to use that same bulb for both lights? I'm finding a bunch of kits that have both lights, but are more expensive due to convenience. I'm not worried about having one light brighter than the other, just that one turns on and off, and they're the same color.

What bulb type did you order?

redzintimidator 12-07-2009 08:13 AM

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1

ddm kits are nice...cheap too

xjoewhitex 12-07-2009 09:19 AM

I honestly don't see the difference looking directly at the light.. how does it perform on the other side? Ive thought about doing this myself but I wouldn't want a blue light. Id much rather yellow.. =0

RojerLockless 12-07-2009 10:39 AM

Very sexy elf ;)

BrokeCollarBone 12-07-2009 12:20 PM

Hid

I looked at the same web site. What the the type of bulbs that you ordered?

BrokeCollarBone 12-07-2009 12:23 PM

I mean they give you all kinds of bulb types and I am trying to figure out what type.:icon_eek:

Elfling 12-07-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BrokeCollarBone (Post 863587)
I mean they give you all kinds of bulb types and I am trying to figure out what type.:icon_eek:

H7 :icon_wink:

Elfling 12-07-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 863522)
Would I be able to use that same bulb for both lights? I'm finding a bunch of kits that have both lights, but are more expensive due to convenience. I'm not worried about having one light brighter than the other, just that one turns on and off, and they're the same color.

What bulb type did you order?

H7, 55w, 6k color.

I honestly didn't see the need to do both lights, so we put in a halogen bulb for the hi-beam. The low beam being HID is plenty.

LBS 12-07-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling (Post 863618)
H7, 55w, 6k color.

I honestly didn't see the need to do both lights, so we put in a halogen bulb for the hi-beam. The low beam being HID is plenty.

Pardon me for intruding in this section :icon_couchhide: but just to add- your HID looks awesome. The install and effect is pretty much identical to my 2007 CBR125R, believe it or not.

35 watt slim ballast 6K HID kit for a CBR1000RR (the 125R shares the same Line Beam housings/lights) in the low beam side, and a Xenon quartz bulb in the high beam side.

Going to HID was one of the single most amazing results after a mod that I've ever experienced...

Zero1080 12-07-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling (Post 863618)
H7, 55w, 6k color.

But CAN you do both lights? Just hooks up separately cause of the high beam I'd assume.

jondevos 12-07-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 863653)
But CAN you do both lights? Just hooks up separately cause of the high beam I'd assume.

You can do both lights. Id recommend using a wiring harness with relay so that you are drawing power directly from the battery to prevent any damage to the stock headlight wiring. Not sure if the stock wiring would handle the load needed to ignite the bulbs.

Its very easy to do, I have HID in both low, high, and fog lights on my car and am ordering a set tomorrow for the bike. The f4i is a decent candidate for doing both low and high beam because of the seperate light setup. When you flick from your low beam to your high beam the low beam stays on as well. This is good because HID takes a few seconds to warm up and get good light output. If you put HID in your high beam you will find that when you flick your highs on, they will take a few seconds before they really light up the road. The low beams staying on makes it safe to go with that setup tho as you will never be without at least your low beams on.

I learned the hard way with my car why you need the lows to stay on all the time if you go with HID high beams. When I first put the HID in the high beams I realized that when flicking between lows and highs there would be 5 seconds or so where I could barely see the road. In the car I out in HID foglights that stay on with the running lights allowing them to keep the road lit while waiting for the high beams to warm up.

Zero1080 12-07-2009 06:27 PM

^I agree 100%. That's why I want to do both. I'll have let's say 50% output, and flick on the highs, and I'll be running 100% light. But still have enough with the lows to see.

What kind of harness do you recommend?

jondevos 12-07-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 863711)
^I agree 100%. That's why I want to do both. I'll have let's say 50% output, and flick on the highs, and I'll be running 100% light. But still have enough with the lows to see.

What kind of harness do you recommend?

If you go to ddmtuning.com they sell a harness there for I think $15 on sale right now. You can find them on ebay as well. It has the relay and everything built right into with a fuse. All you have to do is connect to the battery, connect to a trigger (for low beams it would be you low beam + wire) and connect to your HID ballast. Connect your bulb and now you have HID running directly off the battery. Its the safest way to do it.

Zero1080 12-07-2009 06:33 PM

I just found a kit with the two bulbs and ballasts. I'll hunt for the harness. thanks man.

jondevos 12-07-2009 06:35 PM

No problem. Good luck. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I am no expert but I have played around with HID a lot.

jondevos 12-07-2009 07:34 PM

After reading your last post again I just want to clearify something with you incase you dont know. Sounds like you want to run both lights at half power so they are not as bright. HID cannot run on half power like a regular headlight bulb. They will only run at full power. Just wanted to let you know that incase you were not aware of that.

Zero1080 12-07-2009 08:08 PM

^Oh no. I mean like, you know how you can see the road fine with just your OEM low beam? Well, since the HID's will be brighter, the low beam will already be a step up. But then with the high on, it'd be twice as bright. That's what I meant. Just didn't really know how to word it. I found that harness, and it all looks straightforward. I'll be ordering this winter ;)

jondevos 12-07-2009 08:23 PM

Ok good. Would hate to see you try to run at half power and be very dissappointed. Make sure you post up some before and after pics. I think when my new HID gets here for the bike I will do a full write up on HID installs with pictures explaining all the differences and showing the output difference from the riders position (not looking at the bike) so people can see just how good of a mod HID really is.

Joey_f4i 12-08-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jondevos (Post 863738)
Ok good. Would hate to see you try to run at half power and be very dissappointed. Make sure you post up some before and after pics. I think when my new HID gets here for the bike I will do a full write up on HID installs with pictures explaining all the differences and showing the output difference from the riders position (not looking at the bike) so people can see just how good of a mod HID really is.

It would be great if you included how you set up that wiring harness with relay in conjunction with the HID kit.
It does seem a whole lot safer and IMO makes sense.

I'd love to see a HID install write-up specified for the F4i.

jondevos 12-08-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i (Post 863932)
It would be great if you included how you set up that wiring harness with relay in conjunction with the HID kit.
It does seem a whole lot safer and IMO makes sense.

I'd love to see a HID install write-up specified for the F4i.

That is the idea. I have done the plug and play thing before but didnt like it and just feel better overall if its installed with a relay harness.

I happen to know what Im doing when it comes to installing HID so I figure I can make a full write up with everything needed to do a proper install right from wiring to colour choice.

Somebody on here mentioned in a post that airplanes use a 24volt 110 watt HID light setup. I happen to be in the military and work on helicopters so I should try to get my hands on a setup like that and show everyone what a real HID kit looks like. lol

joelacer 12-08-2009 06:18 PM

+1 on jondevos doing a writeup on installing dual HIDs with relay harnesses. I'm strongly considering doing this myself soon and it would be great to have something to reference. On a related note, is anyone had experience running the dual setup Without relays, and if so, are they 35W or 55W?

ID_CBRRider 12-08-2009 10:04 PM

OK so if these are plug and play, why can't I just order 2 (two) of these systems.http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=105&parent=61

Then just wire them up so the left headlight (or low beam) on my bike is always on when the bike's on. And then wire the right headlight (high beam) to come on when I flip the switch already installed on my clip on??

Maddawg777 12-10-2009 12:41 PM

Just ordered (2) 35W 6000K's for my 02 F4i from ddmtuning. Can't wait to get them!!!!

joelacer 12-10-2009 04:07 PM

sweetness! let us know how the install goes. Are you planning to put in relays as well or run it straight off the stock wiring?

Maddawg777 12-10-2009 04:46 PM

I bought the relay harness from ddmtuning. Once I get done I will post the pictures.

joelacer 12-10-2009 05:07 PM

Great I'll be looking forward to it. I'm looking at getting a dual kit as well, but I'm torn between 35w and 55w, so you're thoughts on the 35w's output/brightness and installation will be very helpful.

silverstonef4i 12-10-2009 09:42 PM

my kit comes in tomorrow and i am confused on the need for a wiring harness..i understand its purpose but it seems like a a lot of people are just fine without it..am i wrong? i picked up the 35w 6k dual kit and had planned on putting in this weekend..i dont mind putting the harness in if its truly needed..just seems a 55w h7 bulb in a car would have the same wiring a 55w h7 bulb in a bike would have imo but my opinion is just that

caddylicious 12-10-2009 10:42 PM

i thought the same thing, and got the same kit, lemme know how it goes bro!

Zero1080 12-11-2009 07:51 AM

I think while we're all waiting on the install, here's my two cents on the harness. Basically, for one bulb, you will not need it, whether it be 35w or 55w. What some plan on doing, myself included. Is to get TWO 55w, 6k h7 bulbs, and replace both lights. We don't want their to be any draw issues from the stock wiring harness, so we're running the HID's directly off the battery. Works and functions the EXACT same as your regular headlights would, just gets the power from a different route.

__Z__ 12-11-2009 09:35 AM

you know guys ive been lookin around on ebay and they have some cheaper sets with good feedback that im sure could be retrofitted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories

Zero1080 12-11-2009 11:23 AM

I'm one to never try and retrofit things anymore. If I had the patience, yes, but I've spent countless hours doing projects late into the night that require retrofitting, and it makes me want to kill myself.

jondevos 12-11-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i (Post 864632)
my kit comes in tomorrow and i am confused on the need for a wiring harness..i understand its purpose but it seems like a a lot of people are just fine without it..am i wrong? i picked up the 35w 6k dual kit and had planned on putting in this weekend..i dont mind putting the harness in if its truly needed..just seems a 55w h7 bulb in a car would have the same wiring a 55w h7 bulb in a bike would have imo but my opinion is just that

I believe the main purpose of the wiring harness is for the initial start. HID use a larger amount of power to ignite the bulb and then run at 35 or 55w. I have had HID in my car for 2 years now and although they did indeed work on the stock wiring, I had much better results with the wiring harness. On the stock wiring quite often one would not ignite. Since the wiring harness I never had a problem.

From what I know and hear, bikes have pretty sensitive electrical systems so the way I look at it is why put extra strain on it when for an extra $15 you can make sure you have a safe setup. Just my $.02 though.