F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID DDM hi low help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID DDM hi low help

My buddy got a hi low h4 kit for his honda vfr 750, and i was wondering if anyone could show me how to wire the positive wire into a fuse box. Obviously there isn't a direct wire coming from the battery that i can just undo a bolt and put the hot right on it. I should say that the positive has a fuse (20amp) so i didn't know if i should put into a similar amp or what. Thanks so much for your help and sorry if my description is a little odd =)

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM

My experiences with HID is that they are purpose designed for the bulb they are replacing.

Therefore in "kits" usually nothing is run back to the battery. You use the factory bulb socket as your positive, negative and in the case that you have a biaxial bulb (a low and high beam in the same bulb assembly) a high beam positive.

So in the case of your buddy the stock bulb sockets have 3 wires.

Unless you are planning on using the stock wiring to control relays. And that is the kind of thing that would require some thought and more than very basic electrical knowledge.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 PM

use a relay. If you don't know what one is, google it, theyre super simple. It's basically a big switch that can be activated by a little switch. This way your HID kit draws the power straight from the battery and can be activated by any stock switch. The benefit of this is that 1) your HID kit is getting its full supply needed (since you can easily get a 12v relay that can handle 30-40 amp load which is WAYYY more than needed for hids, but thats good) and 2) you are putting almost 0 stress on your stock bike wiring so you never have to worry about blowing your fuse or melting your wiring harness. Make sure you put a fuse line on your relay though to protect your ballasts.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM

yeah it should plug straight into your stock harness why are you running it to the battery?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jondecker83
My buddy got a hi low h4 kit for his honda vfr 750, and i was wondering if anyone could show me how to wire the positive wire into a fuse box. Obviously there isn't a direct wire coming from the battery that i can just undo a bolt and put the hot right on it. I should say that the positive has a fuse (20amp) so i didn't know if i should put into a similar amp or what. Thanks so much for your help and sorry if my description is a little odd =)
DDM H4 bulbs plug directly into your existing headlight connection.
The H4 Hi/Lo has a fused relay with it that connects directly to your battery so that you don't have to wire it into your fuse box, If there isn't one then he didn't buy the Hi/Lo's he bought just the Lo's.

Here is a install guide to follow,

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...mid=11&nav=0,1

Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM

yea its a hi/low for sure...so back to the battery i go...its just weird because the positive is only a foot long (meant for a car i suppose)but the kit certainly said motorcycle. guess thats what you get for 60 buks. Looks like i'm adding some wire to the hot wire. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jondecker83
yea its a hi/low for sure...so back to the battery i go...its just weird because the positive is only a foot long (meant for a car i suppose)but the kit certainly said motorcycle. guess thats what you get for 60 buks. Looks like i'm adding some wire to the hot wire. Thanks for your help guys.
Their motorcycle and normal kits are the exact same thing.
Just make sure to leave the inline fuse there.