F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hey All! New Ride - 02 CBR F4i Oil Leak

Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If the oil looks new then just run it for a bit, but for sure get the level correct. Cyl#4 is right next to the cam chain tensioner, make sure that gasket isn't the cause of the leak as well.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I meant spark plug. If that much oil is coming back into the TBs, there's a good chance your plugs are that oily as well.

Fresh oil, fresh plugs, clean what you can, and get back to us.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, got the throttle bodies off after wresting with them for quite a while. Didn't have the right extensions on hand to reach the screws, so it was a bit of a chore, but it's good to go now!

Thinking I might replace the boots, since these devils are harder than my thick head! Going to delve into gasket replacement and the likes, along with clean up efforts soon. I grabbed some brake cleaner and sea foam today to clean the place up, and blow the crud out in the future. Looking to do more of course, but I need to get the tool kit (didn't get a manual or kit with the bike) somehow - especially in regards to peeking down the cylinders to check their condition along with the plugs. The hoses are borderline shot too, based on their discoloration and dryness.

Here's a small updated album, although it's hard to say if it really reveals anything new: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

(Is there a better way to post pictures here so that it's a little, compressed thumbnail selection as opposed to the big blog type post I've been regrettably doing?)

Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Zealot
(Is there a better way to post pictures here so that it's a little, compressed thumbnail selection as opposed to the big blog type post I've been regrettably doing?)
Sure there is. Use the "insert image" feature.

Read this thread. Look at #3 on the first post: https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-hel...-posts-104022/

Old 01-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Okay... Cleaned the area up, and went about taking off the CCT. The bolts weren't torqued at all, and started spinning the moment I clicked the wrench onto them. I could shake it around a bit at that, and saw oil ready to leak out between the metal and gasket. Turns out the shop that did the service used the same old ratty gasket (brittle, discoloured) and no sealant, on top of not tightening the bolts on properly. I very likely found my leak...

Time to go about checking to make sure that the valve clearance is good. I ordered a whole whack of new hoses, gaskets, nuts, bolts, etc to replace everything that is aging badly, including a valve cover gasket - so I may as well. I feel like I'd be able to, but have you guys had any experience checking valve clearance without dropping the engine?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Take a look at those threads for the CCT. Hopefully it is that they were just not tight and not that the threads have been stripped. If they are damaged, it's something you will want to address while you have it apart doing the other things.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Take a look at those threads for the CCT. Hopefully it is that they were just not tight and not that the threads have been stripped. If they are damaged, it's something you will want to address while you have it apart doing the other things.
Good idea! I think they're in good shape based on how it felt when I was taking them out, but I'll double check before I put everything back together.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 PM

Things are going along well! Got a bunch of parts for various aging tubes and gaskets under the tank, and will be putting that all together in the near future. Once that's back in order, I'm going to pull the plugs and check inside the cylinders too. Someone at work offered to let me borrow their compression gauges, which will help me in this regard! That being said - would one of you kind folks send me a picture of what your tank mounting bolts look like? I'm talking about the ones up near the head of the bike, toward the front of the tank. There's the two rubber seats that the bolts run though, except my bolts in this case are messed up; one being nonexistent/drilled out in the past, and the other having sheared off due to tension from the steering damper. I'm thinking I'll have to restore these by re-tapping the holes and such, but I'd like to get an idea of what they look like stock.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Zealot; 01-17-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:22 PM

Hello again guys! Got the top of the valve cover off and had a chance to inspect everything therein. The holes for the spark plugs are a bit dirty/rusty but that's not a big deal since as long as a plug is there I've nothing to worry about. Drained all the coolant and got the oil levels down to where they oughta be - all the fluids are very clean! Replaced my throttle body hoses and have a number of them left to be swapped out as I inspect them.

I turned the crank so that it's lined up properly with TDC and started following the suggested check order for valves. That being said, I'm having trouble determining just how out of spec my valves may be, since I don't know how well lined up the TDC mark needs to be. It's close, but when we're dealing with close tolerances that could very well be enough to throw me off.

Last edited by Zealot; 01-30-2016 at 07:56 PM.