F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help with Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Rear Brake

Gents,
Looking for some ideas or past experinces that may help. Ill try and be as to the point as possible.

My rear brake is completley useless. I removed the system for some maintenance to other areas of the bike not the brake system. After re-installing everything bleeding the system etc the rear brake might as well not be there. The thing I notice is the rear caliper flexing excessivley under load. By flexing I mean when pressing the pedal the whole caliper moves from left to right. Ive checked and re-checked all my torque values, cleaned the threads, put loc-tite etc. Everything I can think of but still the caliper moves under load. I know there is supposed to be some movement but I think all my braking energy is being spent when the caliper moves and leaves nothing left to slow the rotor.

Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated. Thank You

Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
October 2011 ROTM

The only thing I can think of is maybe something fell out like a collar when you took it off. Do you have the manual. If not you can download it from here and then click on CBR600. Page 15-25 has a pretty decent diagram of how it should be. I would inspect to make sure everything is there.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The caliper is supposed to 'float' on the hanger-pins. That allows it to self-center on
the disc, compensating for pad wear. My guess is either, pedal not adjusted properly,
or air in the line. The air can come from either, improper/insufficent bleeding or if any
of the banjo bolts were loosened/removed failing to replace the crush-rings (allowing
air around them from improper seal).

Ern

Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Useless is what I commonly reffer to the rear brake as even when working properly. Besides wheelies what do you use it for?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 PM

I know it's supposed to float so as not to drag, but what I am seeing seems excessive in comparison to what I remember from before. I have bleed the brakes numerous times, both the traditional pump by hand method and using a friends vacuum bleeder. I'm not completely ruling out air in the lines but I'm rather confident I got it all.

I'm not a wheelie guy but I have always liked using my rear brake for low speed stuff, after doing the majority of braking with the front Ill cover the last few feet say for instance to a stop sign with the rear. I also start off on a lot of hills so I hold with the rear so I don't roll back and have my hand free for throttle.

I will have to look at the manual and see if I overlooked something when putting it back together.

Any chance the caliper bracket could be stripped out? Anyone seen this?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 PM

look where its on the rear axle and see if the caliper bracket is seated properly in the grove on the swingarm. i had one where it wasnt all the way seated and flexed but once i fixed it then it worked like its supposed to

Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 PM

backyard, I was kind of thinking that as well. I have a new sprocket and chain set on order and was waiting for it to come in before I remove the rear wheel. I'll for sure be checking on this when I have it all apart.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM

So Problem Fixed. It did end up being the brake bracket not being properly seated in the swingarm. Once I got at all lined up it works as advertised. Thank you all for your suggestions.