CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Help with Power Commander III (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/help-power-commander-iii-130094/)

nubbiecakes 08-24-2011 11:03 PM

Help with Power Commander III

Hi. Today/night i installed a Power Commander III USB that i purchased off eBay. It didn't come with the 8V adapter nor the USB adapter. I'm not so worried about the 8V battery since it's my understanding you can install maps while pulling power from the bike itself, so my question is what does the USB cord look like? I was told it is similar to common digital cameras, so i was expecting a mini-usb, but this thing looks like it only has a female end for what looks like a VGA type cord. Anyone have a pic or explanation to help me? Other than that the install was, for the most part, painless. About 2.5hrs and my mom's help lol. Even with the unknown map that came on the PC3 it has a noticable difference in the throttle response, most noticeable in first gear from my short test drive. No more bucking on the low end, which is what i wanted, so yay! Just want to get the map specific for my mods. Thanks!

raylee 08-25-2011 12:09 AM

Did you get a PCIIIusb or PCIIIr? Well, sounds like you got the PCIIIr which only works with a serial cable. There's little difference except you'd have to find an adapter if you don't have a serial port on your computer (it's a bit old school tech if you're a young'n).

Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Chipset): Electronics

I've used that one with a piggyback ECU on I had on my evo and it worked well.

nubbiecakes 08-25-2011 09:28 AM

Yeah, i guess i did get the PCIIIr. That serial cable defiantly looks correct, thanks a lot. I've been around computers since i was five, i just couldn't remember the name of that type, haven't seen one in years. Looks like what joysticks used to use lol. Just out of curiosity is the PCIIIr any different in function other than the method in which you install maps?

nubbiecakes 08-27-2011 03:33 PM

another question: are you supposed to disconnect the O2 sensor after the PC install?

raylee 08-28-2011 10:02 PM

No, the PC should just be plug n' play, it simply adds/subtracts fuel units based on the pre-programmed map disregarding whatever O2 sensor input. I don't know much about the PCIII for your bike, but it should be 2-3 connections (fuel harness, spark harness if applicable, power leads). As far as the difference, the PCIIIr has spark control (ignition advance) for many units while the PCIIIusb requires an add-on.

nubbiecakes 09-05-2011 12:08 AM

Just one more question, which you might've already answered indirectly: there is a cheap PCIIIusb for sale that i know of, however i am not sure if the slight differences would be worth the time/effort to switch them. Is one normally preferred over the other?