F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP PLEASE - CHAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE - CHAIN

I appologize if there are already too many posts on chains, but I have a huge dilemma. I just purchased a wrecked 2002 f4i, 9,000 miles, and decide to replace the sprockets and chain. Since I mainly ride highway, I decied to keep it stock. I ordered the stuff at the local Honda dealer Big Valley Honda, figuring they were knowledgable. What a joke.
Questions:
1 - They sold me AFAM sprockets. Steel in front, aluminum in rear.Are theseexcellent or just Ok sprockets?
2 - They sold me an EK quadra-x ring gold chain. Again excellent, or just OK? The fricken chain didn't even come with a riveted master link. Shouldn't it have?
3 - The chain is a 520SRXG. I can't get it to fit my front sprocket. The teeth won't "sink in". Will the 520 fit my stock sprockets, or are they for the"less tooth" sprocket?

Appreciate some help, I'm a little pissed at these guys right now. I've been down there 3 times trying to get stuff right, to the tune of a week and a half waiting for parts and $15.00 in gas.
G

Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Default RE: HELP PLEASE - CHAIN

Not 1 of you knows the answer? I guess it's legite then. BUMMER! and still pissed, just not at CBR forum obviously

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM

AFAM makes good quality sprockets.

EK makes ok chains, but the clip-style masterlink is no good. but it's irrelevant anyway, because they gave you the wrong chain. you need a 525 chain, not a 520. The 520 chain won't fit on 525 sprockets (oem) because the 525 teeth are too big.

most people prefer DID when it comes to chains. i have one for sale if you want one...

Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 PM

I haven't heard of those brands, I got my setup online. It was a kit, sprockets, chain all in one. I went with RK. DID is good too. Vortex is the sprocket that I put on mine. Thats what I did.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered Users

1 - They sold me AFAM sprockets. Steel in front, aluminum in rear.Are theseexcellent or just Ok sprockets?

I have heard of AFAM but I have not heard of quality in terms of durability or the like. And honestly....I don't think you need "excellent" sprockets. You just need them to hold up. Some people swear by Vortex (well-known name) and I have heard people say they have died within a week. So really, I don't know if you are going to find an "excellent" sprocket everyone will agree on.

2 - They sold me an EK quadra-x ring gold chain. Again excellent, or just OK? The fricken chain didn't even come with a riveted master link. Shouldn't it have?

I have an EK chain. A red MVXz. I know everyone loves DID...but EKs are good. As a matter of fact...just to gove you an idea, I was at the Chicago motorcycle show and the 848 Ducati has the same red EK MVXz chain I run. I am PRETTY sure that with the cost of Ducati's, they wouldn't be putting a crappy chain on it. Besides, I have read reviews and EK's are comprable to DIDs. As for the rivet master, most chains don't come with one now. It's an extra add-on. Primarily because you need to have a chain riveter which most people don't have. You probably SHOULD get a rivet (just talk to a EK dealer or find them online). I have read a lot of horror stories about clip-style ones popping off.

3 - The chain is a 520SRXG. I can't get it to fit my front sprocket. The teeth won't "sink in". Will the 520 fit my stock sprockets, or are they for the"less tooth" sprocket?

They gave you a 520 pitch chain meaning you need to have a 520 pitch front and rear sprocket. I don't think they typically make steel 520 pitch as the reason for a 520 conversion is weight and unsprung mass reduction. The stock setup runs a 530 pitch chain with steel front and rear. The fact that they sold you both a steel and aluminum sprocket again makes me suspect. Seems like you have a mesh of parts there. Whatever you do...DON'T ride with that setup. You are going to do some damage to either the chain, sprocket, or both if the pitches are mismatched. You could effectively destroy a chain in about a week riding like that.

Go back and make sure everything is the same pitch. You should be able to read it on the packaging. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM

OK, thanks for the info. I just called and had a 525 ordered. Can't believe a big shop like that doesn't keep chains in stock.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Sometimes your best bet, is to get a chain and sprocket kit, that way you got everything you need there, and often I find the chain then comes with both type master links.