F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

I'm new to motorcycle mechanics, so I need a little help. My F4i has been doing great the past few months since I bought it but today that streak ended. As I was coming up to a stop sign, I pulled the clutch in and started down shifting. During the down shifting the bike cut off. Once I got it started again (had to hit the starter and rev at the same time and keep the rpm's up), I would hold a steady grip on the throttle and the bike kept trying to speed up. It sputters a lot when I try to hold a steady throttle. If anyone knows anything that might help (something needing replacing etc), any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It kinda sounds like you have a misfire. Start by determining which cylinder it is. A few drops of water on a warm header will show which one is cool from not firing. Then pull the spark plug and inspect.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

We need WAY more info. Mileage on bike, mileage on spark plugs, any signs like fuel smell or dripping, worse gas mileage recently? Have you done any tests to figure it out or are you just asking a very general question?