F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help Needed...F4i instrument cluster went out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed...F4i instrument cluster went out.

So I was replacing the upper cowl on my bike today (delkevic fitting sucks by the way, I would not recommend it...should have just stuck with oem), and the headlight assembly sort of popped out and hung by its wires for a few seconds...I also removed the flush mount signals to take off the cowl...so the wires are just there exposed...anyway I finally manage to get the new cowl on, and none of the lights on my instrument cluster are working...the bike works fine...the fuel injection comes on but there is no FI light, there is no neutral light or oil pressure light..and the speedometer is gone. The only lights that do work are the high beam light (both headlights still come on)..Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I am not mechanically inclined at all, I thought the delkevic fit would be nice and simple. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Fixed it!! Blown fuse...10A, indicator fuse...replaced it with the spare. I guess when I took off the flush mount lamps the fuse blew because the two wires were touching and I turned the engine on

Just thankful it wasn't a major problem...back to trying to jam on that crappy delkevic cowl

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Well let me give ya a tip. Next time you have to do any work that involves playing with wiring or lights then just disconnect your negative terminal on your battery. That way you don't have to really worry about any issues like that.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Will do...thanks dude!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 PM

No problem. It can just save you the hassle of blown fuses or wires touching and frying something. Glad you got it fixed though.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM

I have the same problem except my tach is also out. I checked the fuse and it was blown, but as soon as I replaced it and turned the key on, it blew too. I checked the two circuit board plugs on the back of the display but they werent loose. You guys think I need to buy a new display? If so does any one know of a cheap place to bu one? I loked at one online honda oem parts site, but it was $500. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM

If it blew automatically then you have a short, check all wires and see where its grounding at. Somewhere a ground wire is touching frame.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM

I found the short. I guess the guy who I biought the bike from replaced the stock mirrors that had the turn signals built into them. Well the wires for the turn signals were just hanging around in the front cowl. So I taped up the ends pretty good and tapee them to the inside of the oowl. I found this out when I pluggedthe front cowl connector in, the fuse blew. Thanks for the help.