F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help my F4i won't start

Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my F4i won't start

My battery wasn't so good at holding a charge before being stored all winter. I know I needed a new one, but am waiting till I move back from Germany to the US in a couple weeks. My bike has been winterized(fuel saver, oil change, battery tender, on some stands) since October. I just broke it out to tried and start it. The battery doesn't have enough juice to crank it, but I tried to jump it off a car battery(car not running) and I still can't get it to crank. The fuel injection light goes on and off and I'm not getting any error messages before I try and crank it.

If the battery is toast, should the bike run if you jump it. If so any suggestions on how to fire her up before I put her on a boat for a couple months. I would have to drain the gas if I can't get it fired up instead of getting one last ride before the move.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Stop, stop...stop! Do not jump the bike with a car battery. Take your bike battery out, swing by a shop where they can test it, if its bad get a new one and problem solve.

What would possess you to jump your bike with a car battery? You're bikes a 12V and your car battery isn't? Unless you wanna risk damage to the wiring harness, your ecu, and electrical components, STOP jumping bikes with cars! Are you trying to make a bad problem worse???

Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
Stop, stop...stop! Do not jump the bike with a car battery. Take your bike battery out, swing by a shop where they can test it, if its bad get a new one and problem solve.

What would possess you to jump your bike with a car battery? You're bikes a 12V and your car battery isn't? Unless you wanna risk damage to the wiring harness, your ecu, and electrical components, STOP jumping bikes with cars! Are you trying to make a bad problem worse???
You can jump a bike off a car battery safely so long as you do as he did: make sure the car is off. It's the car's alternator that does massive damage.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM

I know the battery needs replacing. Can the bike run with a battery that won't hold a charge.

BTW: I've jumped every bike I own off a car battery and never had any problems. Just don't do it with while the car is running.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Take your seat off. Take a volt meter, DC voltage, and hook it up to the battery. Turn the ignition to "on." If the battery doesnt read 12v's then there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that the bike is going to start.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
July 2010 ROTM

it will run but it wont idle for long

Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix

I've jumped my bike plenty of times with my car battery. Both are 12V. The only difference is the current output and capacity. As long as you keep the car engine off, there isn't a single thing that can go wrong if you jump it right....

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since i swallowed batteries when i was a kid, i just hook the jumpers up to my nips and BAM that bike battery now has another 10 years of life.
..But that was after the abduction