F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

help me check bike for damage :'(

Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Default help me check bike for damage :'(

Sooo... I parked my bike behind my wife's car for 1 minute while I ran inside to get my wallet that I forgot.... In that 60 seconds she decided to dash outside and put the car into reverse.. without looking. I heard a boom of sorts and then my alarm went off. I thought for sure Mjölnir would be on her side but she wasn't. She was still upright and I can't find any damage. The forks seals don't seem to be leaking, the front fairing isn't broke "I think she hit the front tire". The forks seem straight.

I was parked:
Directly behind car, straight.
Steering turned to left and locked.
Bike was parked in first gear, but probably had several inches of roll-back available to cushion the impact.
Not sure of car speed but she only had several feet from the car to the bike.

Feel free to make Asian/Women driver jokes if you want. I don't care. I may even join in. -_-;;; ....The downside of marrying a Japanese woman...
---------------------------------
Please suggest things I can check because I don't want my front wheel falling off at 100mph. Not dying in a speeding fireball would be nice. Thoughts on open casket vs closed casket? Thanks guys. I love this forum.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Parking straight-on may have saved you a lot of damage, she probably just pushed the bike backwards on the side stand.

Reversing wouldn't case that much of an impact and the front tyre would have absorbed most of it.

Even so check forks for straightness, fork seals ect and ride carefully, sensitive to any change in the handling characteristics.

I would also suggest checking that the wheelbase length hasn't been shortened, but can't think of a practical way to do that with total accuracy?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Your bike is fine. I backed my moms car into my own bike once. Just tapped it too, but it was enough to knock it back and over. Worst damage was the broken stator cover leaking oil all over moms driveway. And she thought that kind of stuff was over when I moved out over a decade ago, ha!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Originally Posted by boredandstroked View Post
Your bike is fine.
+1

Remember, these bikes go end-over-end at the track and are fine. If your bike didn't even get knocked over, I doubt any damage could have been done. The only place damage could conceivably occur is the front end. Considering how much the forks deal with vertically and then horizontally while the bike is leaned over (cornering) - it'd take more than enough energy to knock it over.

For peace of mind, check your rotors, but outside of that, I really don't see how any more damage could have occurred.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-25-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 AM

Don't forget to check the sidestand too. If your bike didn't go down I can see how it may have gotten a lot bigger workout than intended saving it