CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   HELP, I think I effed up (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/help-i-think-i-effed-up-129267/)

jono446 08-06-2011 02:04 PM

HELP, I think I effed up

Hey guys so earlier I was putting in a new cctl and I was an idiot and hit the starter then realized i didnt take the pin out to tension the chain and it sounded like it jumped teeth or something what do I do.

Honda125 358 08-06-2011 02:52 PM

cry

joeroberts 08-06-2011 03:10 PM

dose the bike run now?
if no pull valve cover and timing cover off reset your timing chain put pack together and Pray like hell it starts. If this fails pull the head and replace bent valves.

MadHattr059 08-06-2011 03:36 PM

Do NOT try to start it, if you haven't already. If you jumped teeth, it's not in time now. You can do serious
damage if you try!!

As Joe is saying, this is gonna be some work.
You're gonna have to pull the valve cover and verify that the cam-shafts are indexed
properly. I know this is a major job, but what is your engine worth to you?

If you don't have a manual, get one. Check the how-to's on valve adjustment, that's
basically what you're doing here. You should consider going ahead and running
the valves out, since you're there, anyway.

This is all just my personal opinion, mind you. Factor all the comments, ask more questions, before you under-take the road I'm pointing towards.

Ern

kazspeed 08-06-2011 03:49 PM

My opinion, unless you are a mechanic (which obviously you aren't, no offense), bring it to a shop. The likelihood of you trying to tinker around in there, and thinking you fixed it, and then running the bike and further f'ing up your bike, is very high.

You got a potential serious problem and its something a trained professional should look at.

That being said be ready to shell out at least $500, if not closer to $750 for someone to inspect and correct any damage.

Like I said, you got a potentially serious problem. bring it to a shop and consider it a lesson learned.

nick_ 08-06-2011 04:22 PM

I did the same thing when I replaced mine about 2000 km's ago. The pin popped out by itself when I started the bike and did not seem to be an issue..

jono446 08-06-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by nick_ (Post 1087418)
I did the same thing when I replaced mine about 2000 km's ago. The pin popped out by itself when I started the bike and did not seem to be an issue..

This exact thing happened I called my mechanic and he told me to turn the motor over by hand and if it turns smoothly try stabbing the starter, I did that a few times without letting it start, and it sounded fine so I went ahead for it and started it. It sounds great i rode about 20 miles and no issues he told me if it had jumped teeth and was out it would harm it and stop it immediately.

oxyg3ne 08-06-2011 08:39 PM

did the same thing on mine.. mistake that i wont do again.. didnt put the pin out.. and didnt put the screw back.. realise 150 km later my shoes was full of oil .. lost quarter of oil Lol... but thats is lesson you never forguet :P ... doing mistake can be expensive but thats how you lean..

jono446 08-06-2011 09:43 PM

Yeah i was so pissed at myself I was just sure we were going to have to tear the engine apart but I took it on another ride and its acting fine. Although the new cctl is not all that much quieter than the old one, it is quieter but not much the old one must not have been as bad as I thought