CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Help!!! I need to understand what is going on with this bike!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/help-i-need-understand-what-going-bike-94437/)

musantemike 05-29-2009 08:48 AM

Help!!! I need to understand what is going on with this bike!!!

Installed my new battery last night. I figured it would just start right up. It didnt. The light turned on and eventually the RPM jumped to the right and i could hear the clicking of the starter but no start. So i put in second rolled down hill popped clutch and the bike started and i let it idol for ten min. Shut it off and it still wouldnt start on its own. Do i need to ride for hours to charge an "alternator" or some thing along those lines. Any ideas as to what the problem is will help.

Elfling 05-29-2009 08:55 AM

Double check all the connections?

musantemike 05-29-2009 09:32 AM

They are connected..maybe i could get it tighter but it seems fine

Elfling 05-29-2009 10:00 AM

Where'd you buy the battery? If the bike started ok with the old battery (not sure if it did, just going with basic troubleshooting steps here) and the only thing that has changed is the new battery, maybe take it back and make sure it's good.

Todd84 05-29-2009 10:13 AM

Make sure the battery battery is charged put it on a trickle charger. If you got a non sealed battery it needs to be charged up first.

musantemike 05-29-2009 10:27 AM

i got a sealed battery from motobatteries brand new. Under my old battery the bike would run and as soon as i engaged gear it would die. Last night it started when i rolled down the hill and idoled and i rode up the road a few yards but nothing more.

gongshow09 05-29-2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by musantemike (Post 790585)
i got a sealed battery from motobatteries brand new. Under my old battery the bike would run and as soon as i engaged gear it would die. Last night it started when i rolled down the hill and idoled and i rode up the road a few yards but nothing more.

-That will happen if you kickstand is down, or maybe that kickstand sensor is going on you (loose connection?).

Shut it off and it still wouldnt start on its own. Do i need to ride for hours to charge an "alternator" or some thing along those lines."

-Yes, the bike doesn't usually start to produce enough charge in the alternator until the revs hit around 5000+ rpm.

nor_cal_cbr 05-29-2009 04:11 PM

Use a multi-meter to check the battery...should be around 13 Volts. If its below that I would trickle charge it...if it still is below that return it...good luck

PlayfulGod 05-29-2009 04:11 PM

make sure the other end of the ground wire isnt corroded too. I have gotten batteries from there b4 too and the came precharged.

musantemike 05-29-2009 05:28 PM

how do u check the "other end" of the ground wire.