CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Help Honda cbr f4i won't start!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/help-honda-cbr-f4i-wont-start-123670/)

Mr.SuperNova 04-09-2011 08:32 AM

Help Honda cbr f4i won't start!!!

I bought a used Honda cbr f4i 2002 with 30k miles. Started up the bike and drove it home with no problems(15miles). Park the bike come out 2 hours later the starter motor no longer operates. When I press the starter switch for the first two tries it made a sound as a failed attempt. After those two tries nothing happens when I press the starter switch. When I hold on to the starter switch I hear a clicking noise by the rear. What is the problem? S:N The bike is due for a oil change. Was going to change the oil today, but I can't until I am able to start the bike.

DBEAU 04-09-2011 08:41 AM

Sounds like your battery is dead. And you can change the oil just fine without the bike starting.

Mr.SuperNova 04-09-2011 08:46 AM

I have the original manual, and read most of it. I was hoping the starter relay wasn't faulty. Do you advise to replace the battery or charge the battery? Thanks for the help.

YellowJacket! 04-09-2011 09:06 AM

Before you go spend money on a new battery try charging it first. Cheap and simple. Could also be poor contact in the start button (not the starter relay) but try charging the battery first.

Hope that helps.

David

Mr.SuperNova 04-09-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by YellowJacket! (Post 1036799)
Before you go spend money on a new battery try charging it first. Cheap and simple. Could also be poor contact in the start button (not the starter relay) but try charging the battery first.

Hope that helps.

David

Thank you David. I keep you guys posted up when the bike is operational again.

Mr.SuperNova 04-10-2011 10:58 AM

Have a quick question. I put back the battery, but the bolts are loose when they are in place. How do I get them to stay in place tighten?

YellowJacket! 04-10-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.SuperNova (Post 1037207)
Have a quick question. I put back the battery, but the bolts are loose when they are in place. How do I get them to stay in place tighten?

Depending on which brand battery you use, there may be some small nuts that fit under the battery posts that the bolts thread into. Not too hard for them to fall out when you remove the battery and the bolts.

Look in the battery box and on your garage floor/driveway for them.

Also, if it doesn't use the nuts and the threads are loose, then that may be part of your starting problem. Battery cables need to be very tight in order to get maximum juice to the starter and other components necessary for a good start.

David

Mr.SuperNova 04-10-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.SuperNova (Post 1037207)

Nevermind that last question.(found a solution). Turns out the voltage was at 11.82(I charged it, not as efficient as it should be, going to replace battery). However, the bike still won't start up. It makes an attempt, but cannot get a kick. I am going to change the oil to see that would fix the problem.

Mr.SuperNova 04-10-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by YellowJacket! (Post 1037248)
Depending on which brand battery you use, there may be some small nuts that fit under the battery posts that the bolts thread into. Not too hard for them to fall out when you remove the battery and the bolts.

Look in the battery box and on your garage floor/driveway for them.

Also, if it doesn't use the nuts and the threads are loose, then that may be part of your starting problem. Battery cables need to be very tight in order to get maximum juice to the starter and other components necessary for a good start.

David

Yes I notice that soon after I posted that comment.

Matt5606 04-10-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.SuperNova (Post 1037252)
However, the bike still won't start up. It makes an attempt, but cannot get a kick. I am going to change the oil to see that would fix the problem.

What's the problem you're having? :icon_confused: You've charged the battery and tried it, but it doesn't seem to start, or it doesn't turn over? I highly doubt changing the oil would solve your prob.