CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Help With Gas Tank... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/help-gas-tank-104640/)

Valeroso 01-07-2010 09:12 PM

Help With Gas Tank...

Hey Everyone...

I am a newbie to this forum as well as a rider. Just got my license this past Halloween and got my Bike recently.

I got a good deal from the dealer and it fit my budget more importantly. Only flaw I can think of is on the left side of the gas tank. I was wondering if I can get rid of this but I was told by a friend that it wasn't possible since its the gas tank. Is this true??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ID_CBRRider 01-07-2010 10:54 PM

Pics??? That would be helpful. I'm guessing your dealing with a dent of some kind. Those can be repaired, with a miriad of possible ways. If it's only a small, minor, dent you can remove your tank and seal up all the holes. Then use an air compressor to blow air into the tank and pop the dent out. if it's worse than that then you'll have to have the dent cut out and new metal replaced in.

If you need someone to do the cutting and repairing, PM me. I know a guy who does that and I can give you his E-mail and website.

Zero1080 01-08-2010 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider (Post 871844)
Then use an air compressor to blow air into the tank and pop the dent out.

That, however awesome it would be to see, and functional, seems HIGHLY dangerous.

asill 01-08-2010 09:15 AM

A cheaper alternative to fixing a dent is get a hot glue gun and a tool called "pops-a-dent" (as seen on TV PRODUCT). Put some hot glue in the center of the dent, attatch the tool, let it dry, twist the tool and POP, the dent should come out. To get the hot glue off, just take some ice cubes, harden up the hot glue and within a minute or two, it'll peel off your tank with no paint damage.

I did it to my bike last year and it worked great.

Sick97SS 01-08-2010 09:47 AM

+1 for Ding King (same thing as pop-a-dent)

works perfectly

http://www.amazon.com/SEEN-ON-TV-Din.../dp/B000096G5G

Junior2552 01-09-2010 09:57 AM

+1 to the Pop-A-Dent/Ding King. If you're really uncomfortable doing the work yourself, take it to an educated friend or a body shop. But it can most certainly be fixed.. just because it's a gas tank doesn't mean anything. good luck!

Valeroso 01-11-2010 12:21 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. All the advice is greatly appreciated.

I didn't even notice that I didn't insert the word dent
to my 1st posting. But that's basically the problem with the bike.

I will put pictures of the bike along with the dent once I figure out how to.

Thanks everyone once again

F4ith 01-11-2010 05:04 PM

^ Lol yea I was reading this and didn't know how to respond.

Those things actually work? I've never heard of any glue strong enough to pop a dent (off a tank) without messing with paint. I've heard of welding it to the dent and then sanding it down. Good to know they exist. Hopefully I never have to use it.

Valeroso 01-11-2010 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So this is my first attempt putting up pictures so just bear with me please.

This is my 2001 Honda CBR F4i. 47XX Miles.

Mods that came with it:
- Two Brothers Exhaust
- Frame Sliders
- Flush F Signals (What is this?)
- Tinted Windscreen
- Rear Fender Eliminator

Like I mentioned before the obvious flaw was the dent on the left side of the gas tank.

My neighbor is a mechanic and told me his instructor told him dents on gas tanks cannot be fixed cause if there is a spark of some sorts an explosion would occur. Thought I would rather ask you guys better. lol

Valeroso 01-11-2010 07:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These are more pictures...

Please some feedback on how the bike looks. I hope I made the right choice with this one. I guess it's a good first bike.

Thanks once again everyone.

I really appreciate it!!!!!