F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

Hi everyone,

I am going to be a new rider this year. Looking to get my bike ready for the season. It is a used F4i from 2003.

I have it on a stand and charger that’s about it.

What else do I have to do other than an oil change that I can do myself? Or should I just bring it to a mechanic?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Since we don't know you or your mechanical abilities, you will need to judge for yourself if you should do the maintenance on the bike.

Changing the oil is a good start. What is the service history on the bike and how long has it been sitting? Consider bleeding the brakes and changing the fluid, replacing coolant, clean and lube the chain (make sure it's in good condition and adjusted properly, and check the tires for inflation and condition.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on it?

Add change the air filter to the list. And check the AGE of the tires too. It's stamped on the sidewall

Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM

My mechanic ability? 1-10? 2!! However I think I can handle an oil change.

- I think it been sitting for at least 1.5 years. That was the last sticker on the plates from previous owner.
- Don’t have service records.

Me going to a mechanic, is like a fat chick going to buy a gym membership! I am going to walking out with a 96 personal training session contract. Can you guys provide a list of what I should get? If you are in Toronto,Canada can you provide approximate cost?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Because you only give yourself a 2 i would list these for you to look at having done

Full diagnostic - This will let you know a lot. What needs to be changed or replaced such as brakes tires etc.
Brake flush
Coolant Flush
Tension chain
Clean chain

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Being honest about your ability is a very good thing. Messing with a bike and not getting things right can turn out to be a very bad thing.
After you have had the bike checked and serviced, look around for some groups in your area. Join up with one, get to know the people, after that you'll have friends that will help with maintenance that want be in it to make any money but just to keep you riding and having fun. Then you'll also pick up on how things work and are done. Before you know it you won't be the new guy!

Enjoy!!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM

1st thing: get the service manual. You can download a pdf of the 01-03 manual from Stephy G's CBR F4i Page . With a 2 of mechanical ability, the service manual and a little help from the guys here you can take care of the basic maintenance... so long as you can follow instructions

Coolant flush, brake flush / bleeding, oil change, chain maintenance are all things you need to learn to do for yourself. Or have a high paying job cause of how frequently they'll occur. Some of the maintenance due for the mileage you do not want to attempt. Valve check is one of them. Fair warning, it's gonna cost if you ask a mechanic.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cleaning and lubing the chain the most frequently performed maintenance. perhaps you should start youtube-ing that.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 AM

Kk. I ill start all the fluid stuff myself

Problem. I started my bike last night. It was cold in Canada. Sub zero. It was raving really high. Than start slowly coming down untill below 1000 than I rev... Dead. Could it be from the battery cause it was dead and I just started it or no gAs? Maybe I should check gas.. This is goin to take some time. Thanks for all the help in advance

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jin27us@yahoo.com
Kk. I ill start all the fluid stuff myself

Problem. I started my bike last night. It was cold in Canada. Sub zero. It was raving really high. Than start slowly coming down untill below 1000 than I rev... Dead. Could it be from the battery cause it was dead and I just started it or no gAs? Maybe I should check gas.. This is goin to take some time. Thanks for all the help in advance
Sub zero C or F?

Dead battery is unlikely I think. It'd been a PITA to start if it did at all. You can check the voltage using a multimeter. Gas needs to be drained if it's 1.5 years old. And she's gonna run rough till the old gas clears the system. Prolly add some Seafoam or injector cleaner to the first fresh tank of gas to be 100% sure. But make sure you use the correct amount / gallon of gas per instruction.

And be very careful revving an engine in cold weather, especially one tha hasn't really run for a while. Can't demand a lot from a cold engine witjout possibly doing damage.

Right now I wouldn't be worried until after you replace the gas and check the battery. Initial RPMs around 3k on cold starts is normal. The rpm will drop and should settle around 1.2k or so. Once you're sure about the battery / gas yoi can try adjusting the idle using a **** on the left side of the bike. But not before checking the obviois