F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help! 01 F4i with idle FI light problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 01 F4i with idle FI light problem :(

I really need some help people on finding what might be wrong with my 2001 F4i. First let me say that |I live in Valdosta GA and the Honda dealer here doesn’t have a diagnostic machine so I really need some help. The problem is this when I go to start the bike she will not stay running till I hold the throttle cracked open slightly and the FI light has to come on then I can let off the throttle and she is good to go. The bike can be warm or cold and I can even ride the bike then shut it off and try to turn it right back on but same problem I have to hold the throttle slightly cracked open the rpm's bounce by its self up and down a while then bam! the FI light comes on and she runs fine. I always have to wait till the FI light comes on before I can ride if not she idles like sh@t and dies. The only thing that gets me is that the bikes rpm's bounce up and down then as soon as the FI light kicks on she runs fine. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: Help! 01 F4i with idle FI light problem :(

your Fule injectors are either craped or just dirty take em out and look at them should be good to go.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:03 PM

How many times does the light blink? Tell me that and I'll check the manual for ya.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for helping me out fellas, I have the service manual from the dealer and I did the self-diagnostic tonight. I jumped the service check connector and I am not really sure but the FI light comes on one time then goes off then I get two blinks. The light keeps the same sequence one blink then two faster ones so I take IT BY THE SERVICE MANUAL THAT 2 BLINKS BECAUSE I SEE NOTHING FOR 3 BLINKS I AM GOING TO REPLACE THE MAP sensor. Now if that doesn’t work I will try replacing the No. 1 injector

Old 02-15-2006, 11:28 PM

hold on!!! this may help
ORIGINAL: doncollins

I replied to this on the other thread you posted.... here it is again.

The MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) is the only light with a code system that I know of. Do you have a flash sequence? Count it and we can see what it says. The 600RR codes go up to 49 flashes... so be ready to count.

Just kidding… when the light stays lighted for 1.3 seconds it’s equivalent to ten blinks. So if you see 4 long blinks (1.3 seconds) and 9 short flashes it’s 49. #4 secondary injector circuit malfunction. I have the 929 shop manual... let me know and I'll look up the code for you.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:52 AM

I agree with checking/changing the MAP sensor. It sounds like that is most likely the problem in the system and it should be a relatively cheap part to replace. I don't see any new sensors on eBay just by themselves, but there is an airbox/MAP sensor/Temp sensor combo for 50 bucks without shipping so I can't imagine that the sensor by itself could be too much. Good luck with the repairs. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 AM

Icefox Yeah hopefully you’re right today I'll order the Map sensor and give that a shot shouldn’t cost much since the throttle position sensor is only $45.00 I imagine the map sensor won’t cost much. blinkster240 I just noticed that for the F4i here is what it says The PGM-FI MIL denotes the failure codes (the number of blinks from 0 to 33). When the indicator lights for 1.3 seconds it is equivalent to 10 blinks. For example, a 1.3 second illumination and two blinks (0.5 second X 2 ) of the indicator equals 12 blinks. Follow code 12 on page 5-26.

I think that the above code is what I am getting but if it’s really just 2 blinks and the first one is just an indicator then that is actually 2 blinks (map sensor). I will replace the map sensor then if that doesn’t work my next step will be to follow the formula giving me 12 blinks faulty #1 injector so hopefully if that’s the case it wont cost much.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Hey GSXR, I am not a motorcycle tech, but I am an auto tech. One thing that I have learned is that the service manual can be your friend as well as your foe, you just need to be able to analyze the data. If your map is bad, there should be some sort of diagnostic chart to help you diagnose that specific sensor or even the symptom you're having. It is very possible that your idle problem is caused by a cylinder misfire(not enough fuel cause the injector may be clogged or stuck if that's what the FI light code is telling you), but to be sure you need to eliminate the possibility of the failed map sensor. Good luck bro. ---Sunny side up!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Yes selvaman your right and after finding out that the map sensor and a injector will cost over $250.00 I think I'll trouble shoot the Map sensor first before I just go and replace parts. I will see if another F4i owner in town can let me swap his map sensor to see if that will fix it now if that doesn’t do it I will then swap my #1 injector with the #2 if I get a different code then that’s it the injector so I will try to check it out this weekend. I will post up what happens after this weekend. Thanks again for all of the helpful info. Jorge

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 PM

just a suggestion i was throwing the same code for the map sensor and it was cause i had a wrong line going to it i had the overflow coolant line running to it instead of the vacuum line. It would idle like crap then when the fuel injection light came on the idle would pick up and run fine. Just check and see that the vacuum line is on there and is indeed the right line. I would imagine an injector being more of a problem all the time versus a map not sensing baro pressure and going into safe mode. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Help! 01 F4i with idle FI light problem :(