F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hello another suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello another suspension question

Hello all,
I know this forum has covered suspension questions alot but I just have a quick question. I found in the search feature all the past posts about suspension settings and found the sportbike.net page that gives you settings. I saw the f4i settings but it was for an 01 with non stock tires. I know I need 3 friends to help set the sag but me and my wife just moved and I dont know any 1. I had a surgery on both arms 2 months after I bought my bike last year so she is still brand new with less then 1k miles, this is why I have not set the suspension already. I did however play with the stock settings, I set the front preload to 4 rings showing and the rear to 5. Everything else I set to 1/4 turn from stock towards stiff. I think she handles pretty good but when I make right turns on a 90 degree turn it feels like the rear tire is loose or slick. Kind of like it will slide out from under me, it never has but makes me nervous. I have never had a prblem in a curve or sharp curve, only when making tight right turns.
Any ideas? I weigh about 220 if that helps. I didnt know if any 1 here is about the same build as me (5'7 220lbs) that already set their suspension and could give me a tip. If it helps I do mostly street and highway riding, back roads not alot of track. I want the be settings for performance and comfort. Thank you in advance!

Old 04-02-2006, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hello another suspension question

Well, I'm 6'2" and weight about 230 and I have my rear shock set to #6 and I have the front forks set to 2 rings showing, I believe. For the compression and rebound damping front and back, I have them ALL backed out about 1 full turn from the harder side. It handles very well, but can't compare too much since it's my first bike ('06 F4i). Missouri roads are absolutely terrible so when you hit a bump the rear is very stiff and you feel it but it's bam bam really quick with rebound and compression. Everyone is different, so you might have to play around with it like I did. These bikes are also designed for the average rider of like 160-180 lbs also. I've heard of some heavier riders changing out their fork springs too, but I won't go that far.