CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Headlights not working - electrical mess (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/headlights-not-working-electrical-mess-151723/)

mitsitsad 04-23-2014 07:36 AM

Headlights not working - electrical mess

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

First post here - I just picked up an f4i last week and I was well aware it needed some cosmetic TLC but mechanically it runs very strong. When test driving it everything worked perfectly except for the front turn signals (which weren't wired)

It must have been something I did when I transported the bike because the ratchet-strap hook fell behind the handlebars and must have unhooked whatever was ghetto rigged in there. Now my headlights don't work. The dimmer switch has 2 wires coming from it with connector plugs that don't appear to be OEM but I can't figure out where they need to be. The left headlight has 1 wire coming out of it but has an open prong and the right headlight has 2 wires that appear to jive with the dimmer switch connectors but when hooking them up nothing happens. The gauges are able to detect high-beam and the fuses are ok. See below for pictures and let me know what the best route to fix this garbage is whether it be replacing the headlamp assembly, the entire headlight wiring harness system, or something else. Thanks in advance!

leads coming from dimmer switch
Attachment 88950
Attachment 88951

left headlamp
Attachment 88952

leads coming from right headlamp
Attachment 88953

clusterfck of wires with exposed wiring
Attachment 88954

stephon218 04-23-2014 09:27 AM

headlights

Hey does your bike throw an f4i light when it you turn it on without the light. If it doesn’t then the problem itself resides in the light. If it does then you have either a kinked or disconnected wire. Reference: My personal experience. I have had it happen to me countless times. You should see a green wire running somewhere to the light, that wire is the power wire. I believe it runs to the tilt sensor but I don’t have manual or bike on me to check at work. But this wire is normally the one that gets kinked up. Oh and welcome to the forums. Post some pics of your bike man. ;)

-stephon218

mitsitsad 04-23-2014 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by stephon218 (Post 1271751)
Hey does your bike throw an f4i light when it you turn it on without the light. If it doesn’t then the problem itself resides in the light. If it does then you have either a kinked or disconnected wire. Reference: My personal experience. I have had it happen to me countless times. You should see a green wire running somewhere to the light, that wire is the power wire. I believe it runs to the tilt sensor but I don’t have manual or bike on me to check at work. But this wire is normally the one that gets kinked up. Oh and welcome to the forums. Post some pics of your bike man. ;)

-stephon218

What do you mean "throw and f4i light"?

mitsitsad 04-23-2014 07:34 PM

OK so as I'm learning it's obvious I'm a complete noob

Those 2 leads coming from the left handlebar were for the horn - I hooked them up to the leads coming from the headlight and pressed the horn and viola the headlight came on - I hooked those up to the horn and I'm good to go there but still no headlights

I pulled the headlight assembly to get a better look at everything - the wire job is really sloppy but nothing I can't repair from the looks of it. Only weird thing is there is this 3 prong harness with a white red and green wire that plug in inbetween the 2 lights. The unit on the headlights was only connected by the white wire, and on the wiring side (not connected to the headlights) the red and green wires were spliced together. Thinking this was the horn I tried to re-marry the correct connections, but after doing that the bike wouldnt start - no FI light. After disconnecting that and hooking the red and green wires back together I get the buzz of the FI engaging and she starts right up - any ideas here?

Finally - I just have random wires coming out of the headlamps - shouldnt there be a harness/socket that the light bulbs plug into? Where do those wires go?

If anyone could help out with this it would be greatly appreciated...the horn was a small victory so I think I'm on track to untangling this mess

stephon218 04-24-2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mitsitsad (Post 1271753)
What do you mean "throw and f4i light"?

http://www.2040motos.com/_content/ca.../37611/017.jpg

If you see a light on your dashboard that is blue or red with FI in center and is lit up. Wish i had a better picture but I am deployed and trying to do this all from memory.

Originally Posted by mitsitsad (Post 1271829)
OK so as I'm learning it's obvious I'm a complete noob

Those 2 leads coming from the left handlebar were for the horn - I hooked them up to the leads coming from the headlight and pressed the horn and viola the headlight came on - I hooked those up to the horn and I'm good to go there but still no headlights

I pulled the headlight assembly to get a better look at everything - the wire job is really sloppy but nothing I can't repair from the looks of it. Only weird thing is there is this 3 prong harness with a white red and green wire that plug in inbetween the 2 lights. The unit on the headlights was only connected by the white wire, and on the wiring side (not connected to the headlights) the red and green wires were spliced together. Thinking this was the horn I tried to re-marry the correct connections, but after doing that the bike wouldnt start - no FI light. After disconnecting that and hooking the red and green wires back together I get the buzz of the FI engaging and she starts right up - any ideas here?

Finally - I just have random wires coming out of the headlamps - shouldnt there be a harness/socket that the light bulbs plug into? Where do those wires go?

If anyone could help out with this it would be greatly appreciated...the horn was a small victory so I think I'm on track to untangling this mess

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2566/dscn1590mt9.jpg

^^
Does this look like whats in between both of your lights.

Oh and here is the manual:

StephyGee.com

You might be able to find the answer faster than i can get around replying. I am no expert either, so don't worry. We all have something wwe can learn no matter how much knowdelege we may have. :)

stephon218 04-24-2014 12:02 PM

Oh i forgot, I can't see the pics you posted in the first post so that might make a differences on wether i know your problem. I can't see the image on my goverment computer and then it also doesnt post up on my personal one. I will try again later on my personal to see if i can get it but for right now i can't see it.

mitsitsad 04-24-2014 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by stephon218 (Post 1271879)
http://www.2040motos.com/_content/ca.../37611/017.jpg

If you see a light on your dashboard that is blue or red with FI in center and is lit up. Wish i had a better picture but I am deployed and trying to do this all from memory.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2566/dscn1590mt9.jpg

^^
Does this look like whats in between both of your lights.

Oh and here is the manual:

StephyGee.com

You might be able to find the answer faster than i can get around replying. I am no expert either, so don't worry. We all have something wwe can learn no matter how much knowdelege we may have. :)

Yes - I have an FI light between N and High Beam lights that lights up when i turn the key to on, i hear an "engaging" sound, and then the light goes away.

Yes, that is the thing between the headlights. That harness is unplugged, but the harness from the motorcycle end that it should plug into is cut and the red and green wires are spliced together. When I disconnected them to repair that harness connection the bike would no longer "engage" and wouldnt turn over and start

ag0d3k 04-24-2014 01:32 PM

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...ring%20big.png

There is a grey plug with 12 wires coming from it, wires for headlights, turn signals, tip over sensor and relays. Low beam wires are solid blue and green(ground) high beam are blue/white and green(ground). (Light blue is turn signal) Find the wires for the headlight and either splice in new wires and run to lights or use whats there.

Ive had my entire front harness disconnect and it doesnt cause a fi light.

The red and green wires spliced together are overriding the tip over sensor, so when you drop the bike it wont auto shut off. (no big deal)

If i were you id pull the light harness at the plug, wire in new connectors for the headlights, and either shrink wrap them all back up or use electrical tape and wrap them.

mitsitsad 04-24-2014 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mitsitsad (Post 1271885)
Yes - I have an FI light between N and High Beam lights that lights up when i turn the key to on, i hear an "engaging" sound, and then the light goes away.

Yes, that is the thing between the headlights. That harness is unplugged, but the harness from the motorcycle end that it should plug into is cut and the red and green wires are spliced together. When I disconnected them to repair that harness connection the bike would no longer "engage" and wouldnt turn over and start

OK OK - I figured out that thing is a bank angle sensor (thank you youtube) - it looks like the previous owner must have bypassed it, but by having the headlight off of the bike and re-connecting the harness the BAS was upside down and hence the bike would not start - seems I should be able to get that squared away

Last thing is my headlamps - I have found that I am missing the socket piece but am also missing whatever plugs into the socket piece where cables would connect to something - for now I could rig it up to have a hot and ground for each bulb but I'd like to get it back to factory as close as I can, so any pics or links to parts needed would be appreciated :icon_rally:

ag0d3k 04-24-2014 02:44 PM

http://d136nqpz68vrmx.cloudfront.net...8/HJ510052.gif
from what i understand you are missing #6 (12 bucks each from bikebandit.com)

http://d136nqpz68vrmx.cloudfront.net...8/HJ510135.gif
sub harness #7 is 50 bucks from bike bandit. That should be all you need to get back to stock.