F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Have to drain tank if not really removing it?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to drain tank if not really removing it?

I know that sounds like a silly title but here is what I need to do...brought my F4i in to have the CCTL replaced....it looks like they may have needed to take the tank off to do it as there is ano a gap on the right side between the frame and the tank and that little rubber "curtain" was bunched up a bit towards front of bike

I'd like to center the tank so it sits even and get that curtain pulled back and hoping I don't have to totally remove the tank

Hard to remove the tank without draining it..if they did move it they didn't drain it[&:]

Any hints or tips on this?

Goose

Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Default RE: Have to drain tank if not really removing it?

Now that I look at the tutorial over on CBRworld it looks like the fairing gets removed...not the tank....ok..that should make thinggs a bit easier without having to mess with the tank

Ok who has taken off the right upper fairing lol

Goose

Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM

take it back and have them fix it.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

That might be what I am gonna do..hate screwing up my time right after work...cant anyone ****ing do something right the first time..be a friggin first I guess[:@]

Goose

Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Not that hard, siphon the gas out (most likely the only way) and remove the fuel pump, wallah the tank comes right off

Old 06-20-2008, 06:28 AM

The daylight shows a lot more..they must have taken off the plastic piece that sits up and to the right of the tank under the right grip(above air intake) and that didn't get put back together correctly...there is a clip under the windscreen that plastic piece should slip behind....the tech didn't do it and it is sitting on the outside of the clip creating a big gap between the fairing and that piece

seriously wtf..first day out of tech school? Sort of pissed...fix myself or bring it back and make them do it? Not a small dealer either...Naults is pretty big in this area

Goose

Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM

I sort of doubt your tank is on crooked. They're retardedly simple to line up. Either it's aligned perfectly or it's not on the bike.

Sounds more like your plastics are out of place. I've messed up putting my plastics back on plenty of times. It's tricky to get everything aligned and snapped together (no excuse for a tech though). If it's really just the plastic that's out of place, just start unscrewing things with a 5mm hex key- there's one in your toolkit. I can't imagine it taking longer than 5 minutes even if you've never turned a screwdriver before.

Plus, it's good to know how to take your plastics off in case anything goes wrong with your bike. It's like popping the hood of your car. Save yourself the $100 diagnostic fee at the stealership, and most of the time you can just fix the problem yourself.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM

Yeah..I actually went out on break and fixed the parts that were popped out...took like 2 minutes to do..

Still pisses me off that they couldn't put stuff back together right though but what the heck...don't sweat the small stuff I guess

Goose

Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whtan20

Not that hard, siphon the gas out (most likely the only way) and remove the fuel pump, wallah the tank comes right off
Be careful when removing the pump. Get a new gasket and do NOT crank it down too tight. Use the procedure and specs in the manual. You don't want to experience what I went through.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

ORIGINAL: whtan20

Be careful when removing the pump. Get a new gasket and do NOT crank it down too tight. Use the procedure and specs in the manual. You don't want to experience what I went through.
what happened? I removed mine and didn't get a new gasket, everything seems fine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have to drain tank if not really removing it?