F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Has anyone else had gas gauge problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone else had gas gauge problems?

Here's the deal.

My fuel gauge turns on. No big deal I should have about 0.92 gallons of gas left. I finish the 5-6 mile ride back home figuring I'll get gas on my way out the next day. Early morning the next day my bike starts, but is having trouble idling. I tried to give it a little gas and it just shut off. I look inside the gas tank and there isn't a drop of gas anywhere.

Anyone else ever have problems like this? Is it a bad reserve sensor? Any other thoughts?

thanks guys!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Bad sensor, although they aren't very close even when good. I have about 1.5 gallons left when my light comes on. I've ridden over 25miles after the reserve gauge said I was completely empty and I could still see some gas down at the bottem.
If this thread gets alot of replys I promise someone will say "first the bars come on, then they start blinking, then the bars start disappearing as they blink!". Not true. Once they are on and blinking thats it, your empty.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If this thread gets alot of replys I promise someone will say "first the bars come on, then they start blinking, then the bars start disappearing as they blink!". Not true. Once they are on and blinking thats it, your empty.
Where did you read that?
The manual says once they come on you have 0.92 gallons left?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM

From my experieriences, i've always had the reserve bars come on when i'm close to the bottom of my tank. Also, it does as boredandstroked said, the bars come on and as i get less fuel the bars will slowly disappear until i'm empty. is this not how this works??

Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i consistantly ride the same 20 mile stretch of interstate highway and by coincidence my reserve light always has come on right as im about get on the ramp. By the time i'm at the off ramp my last bar is blinking and i can just barely make it to a station, tank is bone dry every time.

Now i'm curious, next time i'm at the last reserve bar i'll put in 1/2 a gallon and see if a few more bars light up (after the 90 second delay of course)

Last edited by Sick97SS; 04-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Where did you read that?
The manual says once they come on you have 0.92 gallons left?
This is how it is "supposed" to work. And yes the bars are supposed to begin blinking until they are gone, but it seems that as soon as my first bar starts blinking I'm empty if it even begins blinking at all.

As I stated earlier. My reserve came on and I ran out of gas in 5-6 miles. There was definitely not 0.92 gallons of gas left in my tank.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM

My reserve is definately somewhere around the 1/2 gallon mark. Seems like i can ride for 10-15 minutes in town before i'm pretty much empty.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can usually get 40km's once they come on. I havent tried to push it any farther then that because I would rather not run out of gas.
But in theory if the bike gets 40 mpg then you should get 37 miles out of the reserve once the light comes on.
So that being said it seems that it is not the most reliable way of knowing when you will run out of gas.
I just track my kilometres and go that route.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matt5606
From my experieriences, i've always had the reserve bars come on when i'm close to the bottom of my tank. Also, it does as boredandstroked said, the bars come on and as i get less fuel the bars will slowly disappear until i'm empty. is this not how this works??
You are close. Its supposed to come on at .92 gallons. Then the bars start to blink and disappear on a time base, not gas consumption. Judging by what I've heard though, including this very thread, the sensor for the reserve sucks. I go by miles on the trip. I head to a station once every 100-120 miles, just to be safe. Never takes more than 3.5 gallons.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If this thread gets alot of replys I promise someone will say "first the bars come on, then they start blinking, then the bars start disappearing as they blink!".
My last tank of gas goes as follows.

My res lights came on
The more I drove 1 bar would disappear and the last 3 bars started blinking. This kept happening till I had zero bars left. So I went to the gas station and put in 3.6 gals! I wasn't even close to out of fuel but my gauges said I was running on fumes.

Moses

Quick Reply: Has anyone else had gas gauge problems?