CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Handlebar question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/handlebar-question-94483/)

Uniqsol 05-30-2009 01:17 AM

Handlebar question

I have had my bike for about 3 weeks. And I have noticed that on longer rides ,or with a passenger, my hand tends to hurt. I dont have a "death grip" on the bars, its actually VERY loose (when cruising along), and I try to keep my weight off my hands and wrists when at all possible. But I have noticed that the muscle at the base of my thumb (inside my palm) will start to cramp up and hurt...not super painful, but very annoying. I didnt know if this had to do with the vibration in the bars. Its not a harsh vibration...but it is there.

My old Bandit use to make my 3rd-5th digits (middle finger to pinky finger) on both hands numb...that was a bitch. And that vibration was VERY uncomfortable.

The F4i isnt nearly as bad as my old bandit. So I dont know if it is just because I havent ridden in about 2 years and I need to get my tolerance back up...or if there is something I can buy (ie: heavier bar ends) to make the vibrations less.

Any suggestions? Or should I just suck it up and stop bitching?

Berto 05-30-2009 08:05 AM

Suck it up and stop bitching. Sorry...<g>

The F4i isn't as wristy as most sportbikes. It's probably the least wristy, actually, which is why so many of us like it. But it depends on the person. A friend of mine can't stay in the saddle on his for more than about an hour, but I can go all day.

Couple of things you could try. The bars are adjustable. Loosen the locking bolt and move then back (or forward) to suit you and try it. Also, you can raise them up to about 1/2 inch or a little more. On top of the fork tube there's a little spring circlip. Remove that--you don't really need it--and raise the bars flush with the top of fork tube.

Try a different riding position--a little forward on the seat. Also, concentrate on holding your weight with the ab muscles, not your arms. Split the difference and you'll take pressure off your arms. For the throttle side, you can buy a Throttlemeister, which will take pressure off your right wrist.

Hope that helps.

--Paul

RojerLockless 05-30-2009 02:04 PM

Try squeezing the tank with your legs more, believe it or not at every stop you should do this it takes 90% of the pressure off your hands and wrists it helps greatly.

Uniqsol 05-30-2009 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless (Post 790990)
Try squeezing the tank with your legs more, believe it or not at every stop you should do this it takes 90% of the pressure off your hands and wrists it helps greatly.

Thanks, I already do this when stopping, I will try to do it when riding more.

mike and ikes 05-30-2009 03:35 PM

I have the same problem. I don't have noticable vibration but my hands start cramping on rides over 30 minutes. I think everyone's different and some people just have problems with their hands/wrists.

I just purchase some Grip Puppies and have installed them. Haven't ridden yet because the bike is being painted. They increase the overall diameter of the grips. This should help out a lot.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...y_Code=GRIPPUP

teko1020 05-30-2009 03:43 PM

Every now and then when I'm riding I'll rev it and gain some momentum then briefly take my hand off the throttle and squeeze about 5 times then slightly switch up my hand positioning.

Uniqsol 05-30-2009 05:47 PM

I think it might have to do with when I have eaten...sounds weird I know. But, alot of times when I ride it is when I rush home from work , super hungry... and I either have to eat, or use the remaining daylight for a ride. I always decide to ride. Today, however, I ate lunch and then went riding shortly after...I rode for 2 hours w/ no problems (tho my ass started to hurt towards the end). This could all be in my head...but who knows.

I also do the momentum thing in order to get blood back into my hand, but thats typically for numbness, I was having cramping. I usually wait till I hit a stop light and try to stretch out my hands...I will keep trying different techniques till I find something that works.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

thef4i 06-01-2009 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 790899)
Couple of things you could try. The bars are adjustable. Loosen the locking bolt and move then back (or forward) to suit you and try it. Also, you can raise them up to about 1/2 inch or a little more. On top of the fork tube there's a little spring circlip. Remove that--you don't really need it--and raise the bars flush with the top of fork tube.

The stock handlebars are adjustable?