F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gun mount for rear seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun mount for rear seat

Has anyone ever bought or made a handgun mount for the small storage underneath the rear seat?

I'm considering doing it, only concerns are having the mount secured, keeping the gun from moving around and weatherproofing it.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Ive thought about it but i dont have the room in my tail anymore. i always considered the legality of it for NJ and if i could do it or not though since you have to have the gun in its own case and in an area of the vehicle not accessible or easily accesible to the driver/passengers(i.e. trunk) when transporting a firearm.

Ive been meaning to find out if transporting it in a case in a tailbag would be legal since I assume having it in a backpack or something would be considered carrying it. Youve probably got it way easier in florida. Try jb welding some plastic or metal posts onto the inside of your tail sort of like a jig for it to fit into maybe? Or you could always just mount a holster or the top half of a holster to your tail and slide it in and out of that too?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
Ive thought about it but i dont have the room in my tail anymore. i always considered the legality of it for NJ and if i could do it or not though since you have to have the gun in its own case and in an area of the vehicle not accessible or easily accesible to the driver when transporting a firearm.

Ive been meaning to find out if transporting it in a case in a tailbag would be legal since I assume having it in a backpack or something would be considered carrying it. Youve probably got it way easier in florida. Try jb welding some plastic or metal posts onto the inside of your tail sort of like a jig for it to fit into maybe? Or you could always just mount a holster or the top half of a holster to your tail and slide it in and out of that too?
I'm just not sure how to position the mount inside.
Also like I said before, a big concern is getting caught in the rain. Maybe some plastic lining on the inside. Dunno, maybe the idea isn't practical at all.

I can open carry and conceal carry so it isn't an issue with that, but I was looking for comfort and storage while riding or parked somewhere.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's not much room in split-seat F4i trunk storage area for that type of application.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
There's not much room in split-seat F4i trunk storage area for that type of application.
That's what I mean, I don't know how I would position it to mount it to allow for drawing and seating of the gun.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's your ccw weapon?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Just carry it.

Personally I don't like the idea of trying to pull out the gun and sneakily hide it in the seat. If it's somewhere you go often and do this on a regular basis - even worse.

On top of that bikes are easy enough to steal as it is, so how secure of a location are we talking?

Just carry it.

Unless you're talking about maybe safety concerns of riding with it worn (in the case of a fall), where you would bring the weapon from storage and onto your person to carry once you park. If you know you're going somewhere that you're not allowed to carry - don't carry

Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
What's your ccw weapon?
Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Originally Posted by madman
Just carry it.

Personally I don't like the idea of trying to pull out the gun and sneakily hide it in the seat. If it's somewhere you go often and do this on a regular basis - even worse.

On top of that bikes are easy enough to steal as it is, so how secure of a location are we talking?

Just carry it.

Unless you're talking about maybe safety concerns of riding with it worn (in the case of a fall), where you would bring the weapon from storage and onto your person to carry once you park. If you know you're going somewhere that you're not allowed to carry - don't carry
Sneaking it and keeping it out of the public eye is not a concern.

Like I said before, I don't want to carry it while riding so i'll be more comfortable. But the more I think about the whole idea, the more I feel that it is more trouble than it is worth. Guess I'll carry on the small of my back.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL03CBRF4i
Guess I'll carry on the small of my back.
I think you would be better off crash wise to use some form of side carry (conventional, shoulder, crossdraw) or front carry (inside pocket of jacket like old style bomber jackets). Going down on your back could expose your spine to a lot of force in a small area from the thickness of the gun. Like so many other activities while ccw, it's a balance between concealment, speed, security, and comfort. I'll second the lack of security by leaving it in the bike, doesn't take that much to rip/pry off a seat.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Incompatible
I think you would be better off crash wise to use some form of side carry (conventional, shoulder, crossdraw) or front carry (inside pocket of jacket like old style bomber jackets). Going down on your back could expose your spine to a lot of force in a small area from the thickness of the gun. Like so many other activities while ccw, it's a balance between concealment, speed, security, and comfort. I'll second the lack of security by leaving it in the bike, doesn't take that much to rip/pry off a seat.
+1

Shoulder carry it while riding. A crash with it in the small of your backcould get disastrous. If you ride with a back protector, that would essentially nullify it.

Quick Reply: Gun mount for rear seat