F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Guess Ill Let Two Cats Out Of The Bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess Ill Let Two Cats Out Of The Bag

Okay guys Ive been keeping some parts Ive been finding for awesome deals to my self because Ive been worried about their availability in the future... But I started to feel bad so I figured ide share some of the item Ive found that you can catch a steal on... They look almost identical to "Name Brands" but are half the price or less.... hope u guys like it for the DRIVEN look alike grips they are also offered in the same colors as driven... which is nice

here are some of the items ive found....

those are alpinestars sp-x gloves... 120 dollar gloves they are a 3/4 glove but with a wrist protector... well after searching through 100s of pages on ebay i found these about 99.9% identical down to the stitching even..even uses the same materials for a whopping $30 my buddy actually ordered a pair im waiting for them to get in to look at them b4 i order a pair myself

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-C...item3cab0dee06

as well as the link below pictures actually who u the alpinestars gloves in their ads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-C...item3a58ae854e

also.... driven grips... $50-60 on ebay

compared to these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by __Z__; 03-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM

just though itd be some cool ideas for people.. it be really nice if we could get a sticky thread going for good deals on f4i parts.... and parts that mimic nearly to a T name brand stuff half or less of the price

Old 03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks identical alright...
Alpinestars is truly top of the line in quality and craftsmanship. Saw a special on the Discovery channel on "Super Factorys" that toured the Alpinestars plant and it was impressive the R&D they put into their products.

Always remember "You get what you pay for"

The true test will be if.......well lets hope you don't have to "test" the gloves but usually off-brand items like gloves wear-out signifigantly faster than the brand-name stuff. Atleast from expierence....

Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM

not only are the looks identical after taking many hard looks at the photographs and talking to the sell im almost lead to beleive they are alpinestar gloves but without the logos on them... the leather is the same thickness... stitch paterns match... same materials... all protection is in the same place uses the same straps even... once my buddies get in ill let u know how they feel...

as for you pay for what u get... ide agree with you in most aspects... idk if u took a look at my windscreen thread or not but in that case ide value the 25 dollar screen much higher than ZG BD as well as any other ive seen... i do belive that "alot" of things you pay for what u get but not always alot of the time ur pay for the shiny "company badge"

Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM

I'd never trust imitations.

The driven grips are kewl tho

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM

lol for the price its almost worth buying them putting let shot in them and dragging them down the street to see how they hold up ha as for the grips yes i agree... im going to be ordering a set here shortly...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM

I hope you haven't gotten those knockoffs yet so I can put my 2 cents in. I have the A* sp-x gloves and absolutely LOVE them. Let me point out a few differences here from my experience with them.

My A*'s fit INCREDIBLY well. They were actually tight when I got them and slightly uncomfortable, but broke in after about 100 mi and fit excellent now. First difference I see is the materials used in between the CF guards and on the top of the wrist. You can see in the pic of the knockoffs that it uses what seems to be vinyl or leather and that it has wrinkles in it due to the poor fit. Also, more toward the fingers it uses the same material while the A*'s have a sort of nylon mesh which allows for a lot of finger flexion.

My two cents, spend the money on quality. I used to be in the saving money camp and going cheaper, and sometimes I still do... but I really do believe you get what you pay for. Having started with cheap gloves and moving to the sp-x's I can say that there is a noticeable difference.

My suggestion is to go into the store (find a local cycle gear store, they have a much better selection that typical bike shops) and try on some gloves.... some cheaper and some more expensive. I promise you will feel the difference. I, personally, will not skimp on protective gear.

p.s. Def not the same materials... take them into the store when your buddy gets his and compare them to the sp-x. Maybe the guy is wearing the wrong size in the pics, but the fitment/ergonomics look pretty poor.

Sorry to beat a dead horse... just trying to help you as I have experience with these gloves. Check out the fitment of the fingers and wrist in this photo and compare to the ebay ones. Looks obvious to me that the construction on the ebay ones are subpar.

Take particular notice of the mesh used on the top-side of the fingers and how much more defined and sculpted the finger sections look. Sorry to go on about this, hope it helps make an informed decision.

Last edited by chuckbear; 03-15-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
I hope you haven't gotten those knockoffs yet so I can put my 2 cents in.
na i havent yet....

My two cents, spend the money on quality. I used to be in the saving money camp and going cheaper, and sometimes I still do...
Im not trying to save money by going "cheaper" i am just trying to find pieces with the "same quality" as the name brands but lower in price

im the type that if im not going to do it right "I" wont do it at all so perhaps the gloves will be a no go for me

but the grips ha im gonna jump all over those

Sorry to beat a dead horse... just trying to help you as I have experience with these gloves. Check out the fitment of the fingers and wrist in this photo and compare to the ebay ones. Looks obvious to me that the construction on the ebay ones are subpar.
and yes when they come in ill def give them a very good look over i do beleive the guy in the pic has the wrong size on due to his wrists looking very small compared to the glove.... but worst case right now i have no gloves so even a knock off that is 80% close to the originals is worth more than im using now.. ha

so idk what ill do as far as gloves this season i just dont have the money to buy a expensive pair... baby coming in may and all

Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 PM

I have seen these levers on the forum before, but just to keep the cheap versions of stuff in one thread:
PAZZO shorty lever knockoffs

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
I have seen these levers on the forum before, but just to keep the cheap versions of stuff in one thread:
PAZZO shorty lever knockoffs
ive seen these as well and a couple people have bought them and say that they are "EXACT" replicas... i agree if a item is "cheap" in quality it should not be bought but for the things we can find that are just as good of quality but "cheap" in price... what do u really have to lose?

Quick Reply: Guess Ill Let Two Cats Out Of The Bag