F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

GPS wired to fuse, losing power

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS wired to fuse, losing power

My Garmin Nuvi GPS is wired to my fusebox so that it turns on when I turn my key. If I remember correctly I put the positive wire of a cigarette outlet under my headlight fuse and the negative wire directly to the negative battery terminal. I have HIDs installed if it makes a difference.

Well, the power keeps connecting and disconnecting every few seconds now even if the bike is just sitting in the driveway, so I don't think it's a bad connection wiggling around. It had done it before but the problem resolved itself, but now it's been happening for 2 days. I can take the seats off and put the pos. wire to a different fuse and see if that resolves the issue but I was really curious as to why this was happening and not just resolving it without understanding the underlying issue.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM

I may have sort of resolved this issue. I typed this while in class earlier "waiting for conference with teacher, not during lecture lol". After I went home I moved the wire to the taillight fuse and still had the same problem. I think the issue is actually in the GPS itself or the wire going to it. My guess is the latter. The green light on the garmin plug "where it attaches to the cig. outlet" stayed lit and never flickered while the GPS kept turning on and off. I moved things around a little and the problem is gone now. I guess now I'll wait to see if it comes back.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wire the GPS power cord directly to the battery, no cigarette outlet needed.
GPS stays on even when ignition is off, take GPS off the bike when I park anyway.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by "A"
I wire the GPS power cord directly to the battery, no cigarette outlet needed.
GPS stays on even when ignition is off, take GPS off the bike when I park anyway.
Why would you want to do that? Then you have to turn it on and off every time you ride. I like just letting it turn on so I can look down and see the name of the street I'm on, real speed etc. every time I ride and not worrying about the battery when I put it up. I leave mine on the bike too. They'd have to pull really hard to get it off and the alarm would be screaming too. It's glued/screwed in to the mount I made and the mount is TIGHT in the headstock.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Many times, just looking for entertaining roads or route plotting, I turn off the engine and keep the GPS on to let it plot the route.

I've used GPS on my bikes for over 10 years, never a problem.

BTW, optimal location for GPS is near or above the speedo, looking further down from speedo takes your sight further away from moving direction.. more likely to miss something important while riding.

Last edited by "A"; 04-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by "A"
Many times, just looking for entertaining roads or route plotting, I turn off the engine and keep the GPS on to let it plot the route.

I've used GPS on my bikes for over 10 years, never a problem.

BTW, optimal location for GPS is near or above the speedo, looking further down from speedo takes your sight further away from moving direction.. more likely to miss something important while riding.
Garmin's have a battery and when I turn off the bike a screen pops up giving me 30 seconds to say if I want to let it run on battery power or not.
do you have a picture of your set up?

Last edited by theadamie; 04-02-2014 at 10:50 PM.