F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Got the 954rr front end on my F4i

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the 954rr front end on my F4i

For the most part the new front end is on the bike and ready to go. Spent a long time earlier tonight putting the final high speed stage on what added up todays and days of sanding and polishing. Forks look good and shiny although its hard to tell in a garage with a flash. The bellypan in one of the photos took forever to bondo and prime. It was in bad shape when I got it despite being new. Upper and lower triple clamps were powdercoated by Tom Davis at Carolina Custom Powdercoat in Cary, NC.

Name:  F4iNewYearProgress003.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  F4iNewYearProgress004.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  F4iNewYearProgress001.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  68.8 KB
Name:  F4iNewYearProgress008.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  71.3 KB

Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Got the 954rr front end on my F4i

very nice! cant wait to see it all put together. i was thinking about eventually doing this so you'll have to let me know what its like.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Make sure u push those fork tubes a little higher into the upper triple tree. To make the room to mount your clipons on top of the triple. Normally the 954 mounts on bottom of the triple. But the clipons IF mounted on bottom of the triple on an F4i, will NOT clear the air duct plastic pieces. So you need to put those clipons on top, IF you plan on keeping you air duct plastics. If you take the air ducts off, then you can have the clipons on bottom if you like............Just giving you a heads up. Didnt know if you planned on stunting it or streeting it, LoL..........=-)

Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ReSpEcT

Make sure u push those fork tubes a little higher into the upper triple tree. To make the room to mount your clipons on top of the triple. Normally the 954 mounts on bottom of the triple. But the clipons IF mounted on bottom of the triple on an F4i, will NOT clear the air duct plastic pieces. So you need to put those clipons on top, IF you plan on keeping you air duct plastics. If you take the air ducts off, then you can have the clipons on bottom if you like............Just giving you a heads up. Didnt know if you planned on stunting it or streeting it, LoL..........=-)
Good info but Im drilling the top triple and putting on Freestyle Ingenuity risers for db bars so it doesn't really matter other than for handling reasons. The air ducts Im still not sure about. I was thinking of cutting them and the plastic covers at an angle so I'd still have some ram air but it wouldnt look so ugly or just run it with em off like you did on your oldbike.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Its looking good though, and u will definately notice a difference in the way it handles. That 954 front end is so much damn better, LoL....I actually have a complete 954 front end in my shop that i was thinking of mounting on my ole ladies minty F4i. But i'm still in debation as to whether or not i believe she really needs a REAL front end on her bike, LMAO.......Whats with the black 954fork tube in that pic? (well looks like one anyways).......Thought it was an R1 tube, was gonna ask why u didnt use the R1 ones, LoL......But i realise thats not an R1 rube, LMAO

Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM

It was part of a junk 929 front. Irattle cannedboth forks black. One was bent though. I really wanted to powdercoat the forks black but didn't want to add the step of disassembling both forks to this build. I will disassemble some forks when Im not on a schedule and dont care how long it takes to get it right.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: StrikeAnywhere

It was part of a junk 929 front. I rattle canned both forks black. One was bent though. I really wanted to powdercoat the forks black but didn't want to add the step of disassembling both forks to this build. I will disassemble some forks when Im not on a schedule and dont care how long it takes to get it right.
Ahh good deal......First look i thought it was an R1 fork. Figured "damn why didnt he use those, LoL". But then i realised that was a 929/954 fork and kinda figured u painted it black. Also, looks like u rattled the 954 triples in the process of it. That gloss black, blings out just a little bit, hehe. Yeah PC is the way to go, when u have the time and the funds. I've got some PC i need to do on a couple of my projects. One being the ole ladies wheels on her F4i, she wants them white, LoL........Its all good though, looks like its coming together for you just fine.........=-)

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM

upper and lower trips are powdercoated actually. the rattle can on the forks was way too soft even with multiple coats of clear.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 PM

man, titanium nitride coated ftw

looks great, I may consider the swap eventually...I have a few things coming together for mine...I love modding ****. quick question tho, do you have to get a new wheel? I'm working on putting the old 6 spoke 900rr style wheels on my current stock setup and was wondering about the front axle for the 954 front end...I hear it's larger in diameter but haven't been able to confirm this.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Far as I know only 929/954 wheels will fit a 929/954 front end. F4i front wheels won't fit but there is a site for a company that machines F4i wheels to fit for about $65.

To confirm different sizes in parts like axles, bearings, etc I would say go to ronayers.com and look at the microfiche exploded diagrams for different year bikes. Open up a page for 1 year and model and then a page for the other and cross reference parts. 01-02 929's are listed as 900rr and 03 954's are listed as 900rr just be sure you pick the correct year.

Quick Reply: Got the 954rr front end on my F4i