CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Good Price (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/good-price-102536/)

rocketsauce035 10-24-2009 10:36 PM

Good Price

I am looking at getting a 01 F4i in black/silver, dead sexy.
Some background:

12,500 miles, second owner, never red-lined, garage kept, never seen rain. Regular maintenance has been performed, oil, chain lube, etc.

It has been dropped twice, the second time was more of a controlled fall as the owner simply lost balance and basically carried it down and couldn't stop it. Minimal scratches to the left fairing.

New back tire about 300 miles ago but the front tire has about 6000 miles on it and I would need/want to replace it.

The chain needs to be replaced and he was going to do that and both sprockets in the near future.

However, I would need to put on a new air filter, not too expensive but tedious.

It does have FMF can and a different windscreen (not sure of the make).

Kelly Blue Book retail for my area, 23602, is $3650 and trade in is $2490.

What would be a reasonable offer to make him? Feel free to post questions and I will try to answer as best as I can.

GDM YO 10-24-2009 11:57 PM

I just purchased an 02 f4i 600 with 13k miles on it, in absolutly perfect shape, VVT replaced, etc with a carbon fiber yoshi TRS muffler, and the yoshimura EMS, for $2900 with a helmet/jacket.

rocketsauce035 10-25-2009 07:41 AM

He mentioned he wants $3500 for bike, helmet, and jacket, after he does the chain and sprockets. I felt that was a little on the high side.

R Dub 10-25-2009 10:37 AM

$3500 doesn't seem bad depending on how messed up the fairings are from the falls. I don't know what kind of helmet and jacket that he is going to throw in but that will save you a few hundred bucks+. Its also nice the he will do the chain and sprocket that way you don't have to mess with it. I would not believe for a second that the bike has never been red-lined. If he told you that hes more that likely lying to you. I would probably start by offering $3K and play the negotiating game.

rocketsauce035 10-25-2009 01:55 PM

The fairings aren't that bad, I only looked at it in his garage so next time I'll take it out into some light and look it over thoroughly. I'm not sure of the make of the helmet but he said it was $200 new, and the jacket is a Joe Rocket textile $120 new but it probably won't fit me anyways.

About being red-lined, thats what he said but I've seen the way he rides and he doesn't run it hard so if it has been red-lined it's not often. What are some good companies to recommend to him for the chain and sprocket seeing as I'm basically buying them?

R Dub 10-25-2009 03:02 PM

As far as the jacket goes make sure it will fit you otherwise ask him to knock some $$ off as you would have to go buy a new one, Same goes for the helmet.

For the sprockets do you want to go with the stock gearing or alter it like a -1 up front or a +2 in back? Vortex sprockets are good and a DID chains are top of the line.

Aken 10-25-2009 03:38 PM

Sprockets and chain will cost about $130 + whatever you value for labor, so factor that into what he's charging you. $3,500 with the sprockets and some gear seems plenty reasonable. If you don't want the gear and want to replace parts on your own, offer a little less. In the end, just pay whatever you're comfortable with. The bike is only worth what you're willing to pay for it, so as long as you're happy, go for it. That's what haggling is for.

I think people who post up their own amazing deals they scored need to exclude their own personal pricing and put their feet in the poster's shoes. There are so many factors that go into purchasing a vehicle, just because you managed to walk away lucky doesn't mean that the next person should completely low ball their seller.

GDM YO 10-25-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 851357)

I think people who post up their own amazing deals they scored need to exclude their own personal pricing and put their feet in the poster's shoes. There are so many factors that go into purchasing a vehicle, just because you managed to walk away lucky doesn't mean that the next person should completely low ball their seller.

I assume that was directed at me.

I was merely stating what I recently purchased the bike for during this economic time. There are a lot of bikes out there, and it's hard to walk away from a bike. If this isn't your price range keep looking, you will find one that fits you.

Aken 10-25-2009 03:50 PM

You inspired it, but you're certainly not the only person to ever do it on these forums. Just making a broad point. Yes, he may want to walk away and find something cheaper, but it's also just as likely that he may be very wishfully thinking, and never find a deal equal to yours.

Seafordguy 10-25-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 851362)
You inspired it, but you're certainly not the only person to ever do it on these forums. Just making a broad point. Yes, he may want to walk away and find something cheaper, but it's also just as likely that he may be very wishfully thinking, and never find a deal equal to yours.

Agreed. Seems to happen on this site a lot. I bought my F4 for 600 bucks, but that doesn't matter, and I bought my f4i for less than I sold my F4 for and the F4i had less miles and is in great condition. Neither deal was a Market Value.

I don't think that 3500 is bad if there is no lingering damage other than your mentioned scratches.

if you like the bike go for it. No reason passing on it over a few hundred bucks. I'm from Seaford (Yorktown) - I see your from NN. Welcome to CBRForum.... Be safe....