F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Is this a good deal?

Hey guys! I think I'm finally ready to climb onto a cbr after a couple months of practice with some smaller bikes. Someone in my area just put one up for sale that has been down, but still has a clean title. He said the speedo works intermittently and the fuel injector light comes on from time to time, but other than that the bike is flawless mechanically. Seeing as this would be my first real bike, I'm thinking this might be perfect. Any thoughts on the speedo and fuel injector problems?

Here is a listing of the ad as well. You guys think $2200 for this is a good deal?

2001 Honda CBR F4i, it ain't pretty but it runs and rides perfect. Bought it from a good friend a few weeks ago who had it almost 2 years before me. He had done a lot of work to it maintaining the bike before I purchased it. The battery, fuel pump, plugs, oil, front tire, and brakes are all new. This bike would be an excellent beginners bike, 600cc moves you really good. It has been dropped...a few times, only damage has been to the fairing up front by the head lights and a few scrapes on the crankcase. The fairing are really just scraped and not broken, the owners before me must not have been going to fast because it just took off some of the decals on the sides. I am asking $2200, and I am firm on the price, like I said it is not that pretty but it runs and rides great so you would be getting a decent deal. 19,xxx miles currently on the bike, only issues it currently has is occasionally the fuel injector light comes on and the speedometer sometimes won't stay on. Take a look and see if its something your interested in and send me an email. Thanks.

-Comes with shop manual, extra tire

thanks guys!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 AM

At $2,200 I'd be weary. The seller might not be telling the whole truth and you won't find out until it's too late. An injection issue might not be an easy fix. It could mean you're running too rich or too lean.

Even if it does sound like a good deal you might be in for more than what you bargained for.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah, I'd be a bit cautious. He says he bought it from a good friend, but then says the owners before him (unless someone owned before his good friend which is possible) must not have been going fast. Also, he says it runs and rides perfect, but you and the current owner mention the speedo and FI light issue. If you really want it and the owner will allow it, ask to take it to a local dealer (trailer it if necessary) and have looked over.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by NRWhiteKnight
Yeah, I'd be a bit cautious. He says he bought it from a good friend, but then says the owners before him (unless someone owned before his good friend which is possible) must not have been going fast.
I picked up on that too. Although I don't buy the owners before his friend bit.

He's said he bought the bike 2 weeks ago and he's already selling it?

If it was me. I would be on to the next bike already. I wouldnt be able to trust that "his buddy" was the previous owner and maintained it like a mechanic... The bike is already telling you its having fuel problems.

Personally I pass on any bike where the seller is trying to pitch me a story on the previous owner. I don't want to hear about what a previous owner did. I want to hear what the person I'm buying it from has done, how hes takin care of it, and how it rides.

Last edited by teko1020; 09-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM

sounds shady... like he added a new fuel pump to fix the fueling issue but that didn't work and now he is trying to get rid of it.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seller already dug his own grave- he only has it for 2 weeks and it's up for re-sell? Red Flags

Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Does sound kind of fishy, but if you're not mechanically inclines and not up for the task, then just move on. Price seems like you don't want to run away from it, but it might just give you major problems in the end, unless you know a good motorcycle mechanic in your area to help decide if it's worth the buy..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an pretty easy fix for me, but ive been working on them for along time. I think he's a liar based by his add so it would be hard to make a deal on that fact alone. If you dont know enough to check it over yourself, definately look for a less crooked sounding seller. It doesnt necessarily mean they are but you'll feel better not knowing they were.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM

You cant always assume the worst. I bought my 01 f4i a few months ago with 7xxx miles for $1000 that had a few mechanical problems from being laid down. After a few weeks of work and some scavenging on the internet for good prices on what i needed shell be running and looking brand new for about $4-500. So if you can find out exactly whats wrong or what you need to do and are capable of it it could be a real good deal but if not youll be wasting your time.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 AM

For a couple hundred dollars more you can get a good bike - not a questionable one.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?