F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is this a good deal?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E-mail him the kbb perfect price and tell see if he'l take $3700. See if he stored it with motorcycle stands if not he ay have flat spots in the tires. I'm picking up my 2002 F4i with 5800 miles tomorow, getting it for $3200 but its been laid over on the left side.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:19 PM

Remember that book price is an average of the price your model vehicle is selling for. In other words 2001 F4i's could be selling both for more and for less, but that's the average selling price. I do think $4000 is a little high though. NADA shows average retail for that bike with aftermarket exhaust at just under $3300 in my area. Also, mileage is not even considered on motorcycles in NADA. Same price no matter what the mileage. Retail price is what it would sell for at a dealer. If you were to trade one in, you would get wholesale, which is less. So, when an individual sells a bike, he's usually trying to get more than what he could get on a trade in, but still give you a better deal than buying at a dealer. In my opinion then, $3000 would be tops when buying that bike from an individual. If you can't get it for $3000 or less, be patient and keep looking. Good deals will eventually come along. It also makes it even harder for me to justify higher prices for used when you can go buy brand new '08 CBR1000RR's for around $7000 right now.

Last edited by backroad; 01-31-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys. I was so close to shelling the money out this weekend. A part of me wants that bike so bad I'd be willing to spend more, but you guys are right, I should probably be a little more patient and smart and wait it out. Do you think as it gets closer to warmer weather that more or less people will be selling their bikes?

I guess I want to ask another question of what are some other good places I can find people selling their f4i's in my area. I'm limited to craigslist at producing anything good so far. (fyi: i live in kansas city)

Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay + shipping FTW

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Pretty decent price for the mileage. I paid $3760 for my 02 with 10k on it, it came with a 1 year warranty.

I wouldnt take much of the advice offered in this thread to heart. It's an 01 thats sat in a garage for its whole life. If it's in brand new condition offering 3-3.5k is just gonna end in a hang up from the seller. I'd show him to KBB and then come at him with that amount or slightly more if its in great condition for the addons but I wouldnt budge over 3800.

FYI - No one is going to sell a low mileage, fairly recent, 600 for the price of a 250 ($3000), that is unless its a stuntbike.

Last edited by teko1020; 01-31-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by tyler00
Thanks guys. I was so close to shelling the money out this weekend. A part of me wants that bike so bad I'd be willing to spend more, but you guys are right, I should probably be a little more patient and smart and wait it out. Do you think as it gets closer to warmer weather that more or less people will be selling their bikes?

I guess I want to ask another question of what are some other good places I can find people selling their f4i's in my area. I'm limited to craigslist at producing anything good so far. (fyi: i live in kansas city)

I would imagine anyone that desperately needs to dump their bike is doing it now. Those sellers + more sellers looking to sell their bike and upgrade will be around in the spring/summer. Because thats riding season and you get the most money for your bike during the season.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

If your comfortable dropping the coin, then I'd get it. Sure there will be other bikes but there's ALWAYS other bikes. For an 01 with that low of miles I'd check it over and offer 3700 to 3800. Granted it's a little higher than most the people paid for theirs on here, but I don't know how many of them can claim to have a minty F4i with under 5k miles. But hell thats just my 2cents.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
If your comfortable dropping the coin, then I'd get it. Sure there will be other bikes but there's ALWAYS other bikes. For an 01 with that low of miles I'd check it over and offer 3700 to 3800. Granted it's a little higher than most the people paid for theirs on here, but I don't know how many of them can claim to have a minty F4i with under 5k miles. But hell thats just my 2cents.

Exactly. If you read these stories by people trying to give you advice you'll see how much they know about the value of things.

"Keep looking! I got this great f4i with only X miles on it for $3500. The only problem was I bought half of a stuntbike because it was laid down twice on one side."

Seriously... If he would come down 2-300 on his price that would be a deal I would jump on without hesitation. The longer you wait the more pricey bikes are going to get. Pretty soon you are gonna start seeing "Riding season is almost here. Buy my 2003 F4i for only $4500. The front tire has 70% tread left but the back tire will need to be changed."

Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid 1500 for my 01 w/ 21k oi it. No exhaust, busted up fairings, bald tires, brakes were shot, oh and a salvage title. But if you're looking for a good deal, you gotta work for it. All in all I invested less than 2500 total, a couple cases of beer and a little elbow grease, and now she's mint (almost, needs paint, don't like red). So No its not a "good deal", but that doesn't mean its not worth buying.

Last edited by skoobydoobie; 02-01-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

4K Is a little pricey as everyone else has said. I got mine right before riding season so I coughed up a little more money but I also had to replace chain and sprockets and a tire half way through season. If it means that much to you just do it...As someone else said there will always be more bikes. Also remember prices will change based upon your location also. I got to a point where I just wanted a bike so bad I started looking online in FL and such, I Live in Ohio, I noticed bikes where a bit cheaper in FL because there was essentially more of them so the competition to sell them was greater. That was just my own observation IMO winter isnt over yet so you do have the option to keep looking, you will know "YOUR" bike when you see it also an advantage to keep looking more money to spend on mods or other stuff!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?