F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gonna tackle a decent size project

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna tackle a decent size project

hey guys! i have a 2001 cbr600 f41 30k, its my first bike and i bought it cheap. now that winters coming Im planning on sorting a few things out. ill keep updates if anybody is interested. Im going to be replacing the entire wiring harness, headlight, tail light/ turn signals and a new flush mount undertail for a stock shape taillight along with a hardware kit.

changing out the whole harness because between aftermarket lights and an alarm system, the harness is just mangled beyond repair. i do plan on doing regular maintenance, tune up coils, oil change, go through most of the seals. My question is, since i will already have the bike torn down, i was wondering what else should i go ahead and upgrade, replace, or inspect. also, im a big fan of using newer oem parts as a upgrades.

Attached Thumbnails Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_1954.jpg   Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2017.jpg   Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2061.jpg   Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2067.jpg   Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2065.jpg  

Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2054.jpg   Gonna tackle a decent size project-img_2062.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would lift the front and check the head bearings, check brake pads, discs and I’d also check both wheel bearings

Most bikes that arrive like that in my experience have all the money thrown at bling and not the basics so check the state of the plugs, change the oil and filters and make sure it has a standard air box and OEM air filter. Check the chain and sprockets Go around the bike and just make sure that every bolt is the correct one and is tight, grease and lube everything.

That will keep you busy for starters!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:41 AM

Keep up the good work and if you want to know anything about biking clothes, and motorcycle accessories we are here to help you out. Do you that banana seat on these is relatively comfortable, also for a pillion. By the way, it's wonderful to ride!!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Change the cctl to manual while its apart. Shim the rear shock for additional rear end height.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM

quick update. iv'e done the harness swap and did most of the maintenance along with a shorty pipe and manual cct. and cleaned up the throttle bodies

the gian botch job done for the headlights by previous owner

bike stripped down

THIS WAS THE MAIN HARNESS, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?????

Akrapovic shorty tip

manual cct

cleaned throttle bodies a bit

new undertail because the old one looked like crao

the silver paint was showing its age pretty well, so i decided to go with white

Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job there. The innards look so clean now. Btw the fuel rail looks so shiny. The rail on my back has spotting all over it. There's no rust or anything just looks a bit shabby. I read it has molybdenum coating so can't be cleaned by the usual petroleum based solvent etc. What did you use to clean it?

Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Clean and grease parts as necessary when re-assembling.

Might as well check the valves while you have it apart. Disassembling to get access to the valve cover is the worst part of that, and you already have that done.

And I would suggest getting some turn signals that other drivers can actually see. Otherwise you might as well go without.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ceebeeaarguy
Good job there. The innards look so clean now. Btw the fuel rail looks so shiny. The rail on my back has spotting all over it. There's no rust or anything just looks a bit shabby. I read it has molybdenum coating so can't be cleaned by the usual petroleum based solvent etc. What did you use to clean it?
I just used throttle body cleaner and brake cleaner on a rag. And applied elbow grease as needed. Mine was spotty as well and gritty wit dirt and it polished up nicely. Hope this helps

Old 12-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ceebeeaarguy
Originally Posted by ShtBiker
Clean and grease parts as necessary when re-assembling.

Might as well check the valves while you have it apart. Disassembling to get access to the valve cover is the worst part of that, and you already have that done.

And I would suggest getting some turn signals that other drivers can actually see. Otherwise you might as well go without.
Thanks! already done. The bike surprisingly in excellent mechanical shape aside from the cct gone bad. Main issue that I had to deal with was the mangled harness and I just outright replaced it with good condition used one. And I’m thinking about going without turn signals. Mainly because I can’t get them to work. I’ve checked the lights and I’ve checked the switch and wires only to ensnare up more confused

Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 PM

may be the flasher/relay

Quick Reply: Gonna tackle a decent size project